Stove rope adhesive ?

I've just replaced the special rope that goes into the doors of my wood burning stove, just seemed to press in. Trouble is sometimes when I open the doors it falls out. Should it be stuck in and with what ? I've got fire cement sealant but wouldn't this just make it hard ? Anything from screwfix ??

Reply to
sndevereux

Y'know i had a proper adhesive, and it didn't work, so I used some UHU and it seems to have stuck..whiffs a bit when it gets hot..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, with stove rope adhesive/glue. Didn't the place you bought the rope from sell it as well?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Holts exhaust sealant, use it sparingly in the slot behind the rope. I think it contains waterglass which sets if the door gets hot enough but once set it is brittle so you don't want it on the front of the rope.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Dave Baker

yep. The brittlness is what ***s you there.

thats why I used a rubbery one.

Doors are not normally much over 100-150C..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really in my experience because it just soaks into the back of the rope and sets there and in the back of the slot, the front of the rope remains flexible. I think I run my stove too hot to use a rubbery compound anywhere on it. Because the stove is "overdriven" it causes the brick chimney (fire cement lined) to act as a thermal store like a masonry stove.

This is quite the opposite to the pellet stove where none of the surfaces get warm and the flue exit is low temperature so I can seal with high temperature silicone.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Min failed because to close the doors properly used a lot of pressure, which sheared the glue line.

Hence use of flexible.

You never glue a flexible to a rigid with rigid glue if you want it to to stay flexible..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Would high temperature silicone work as 'glue' for the rope? IIRC it's good for 250degC which should be fine for the door and flexible.

Reply to
fred