Stove Register Plate

Previous posts suggest screwing the plate to the chimney. Errr how? The simplest I can think of is bending over an inch and using rawl bolts ie all metal construction, a bit OTT but fireproof. The inch forms a tab parallel with the chimney wall in order to screw through.

Presumably prior to that you connect up the liner to stove pipe and afterwards you seal up the plate with fire proof sealent and then pour vermiculite down the chimney. Top bit I'm okay with.

Would aluminium register plate be okay or is it likely to be too hot even for that?

Reply to
visionset

For a normal gas fire 1/8" will be ok,but a stove needs metal.

You still have to seal around the edges with cement.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's what I did in mine but I used stainless steel folded 25mm all round then predrilled the holes in the fold down and used normal plugs with stainless screws,also spread fire cement on fold before fitting and it gives a more secure seal.the folded area was slightly sloped out on all sides.It is much harder to work with but as I have no liner in my chimney I felt it was more secure.As you have liner mild steel would be more than adequate.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

If I may ask,how much did you pay for the mild steel? Last job I done the guy paid 18GBP for a sheet of cement board. Bitch of a job doing it that way.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Did not pay for the stainless steel,I managed to get a offcut that was just right for my requirements from a friend

Reply to
Alex

You owe your friend a couple of pints then. :-)

Aluminium or Mild steel plate is expensive, particulary when the thickness exceeds 1.5mm

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I just paid =A315 for 1000mm x 300mm galvanised 1.5mm thick steel plate to use as a register plate, it cuts quite easily with a jigsaw and tabs for fixing can be bent over with pliers.

It would have cost =A390 to get it cut to size with holes etc.

Reply to
Rednadnerb