Stove "register plate"

Hi,

I've read several discussions about creating these "register plates" that you need in order to block off a chimney opening when installing a solid fuel stove. The concensus seems to be that you can either construct one from sheet metal, or from multiboard/fireboard/masterboard etc.

The problem I'm having is trying to get hold of the materials - I'd favour the fireproof board option, as I imagine you can cut this quite simply and relatively accurately with a jigsaw, but I can only find it for sale in 8x4 sheets costing £80+. I only need about 3x1 !

Does anyone know of a supplier that can do such a small size? I live in Leeds but am prepared to travel if it saves me cash...

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

Reply to
Tom W

Is fireline plasterboard allowed? I got a sheet of that for a price that didn't even register, so was probably under 10 quid. I used it when plasterboarding the chimney breast in my kitchen. (Gas cooker, not fire). It is a rather lurid pink.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

that sounds ideal - if it's legal for my purposes (which I expect it is from its name). Is this stuff available from builders merchants?

Cheers

Tom

Reply to
Tom W

Looked into this a while back but haven't got round to it yet. I think BS

8303-3:1994 is relevant. At Clause 9.5 it says " a top register plate should be constructed of corrosion resistant metal plate of not less than 1.5mm thick...."

Personally I don't think board is strong enough especially if a smoke door had to be cut in it. Also how would it be fixed to the fireplace opening?

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Although I'm sure this is right, why would the register plate on a solid fuel stove need to be corrosion resistant as it shouldn't come into contact with any of the fumes as these go up the chimney liner.

Reply to
G&M

Should be about £30.

Ask for discount.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's the dampness / acidic soot left overs that may be in the chimney between the liner and the original brick chiminey. I bought the register plate from the stove supplier, drilled a hole and gently jigsawed out the hole.

The Q

Reply to
the q