StormGuard

Looking at one of these threshold seals the other day, they are adamant that you must used their sealer, which isn't supplied even with the high price of the unit. I can't see why a decent silicone wouldn't do the same job?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Possibly, however they have probably tested their own but not all others. They will probably use this to say any warranty is void.

Reply to
dennis

The non-supply with the units made me unhappy - I went with another make due to easier availability and better match to my requirements - but I doubt I'd have paid for their stuff. (Mind, I am unlikely to need it to protect against a flood.) Actually, must check if I used anything - or left it on my 'to do' list'...

Not having ever seen it, I wonder if it is more of a non-setting mastic?

Reply to
Rod

I've had problems with wind blowing water under a door under certain rare conditions - so want to sort it permanently.

It sort of implies it's a setting type.

Other thing that put me off are the instructions are inaccurate. They show fixing screws going through the thing - which seems a stupid idea since they'd be in the 'wet' part - but actually supply two brackets to do the job without drilling the extrusion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave,

I've fitted many of these over the years using whatever mastic that was available - and *never* had a problem with it.

Mind you, I have had problems getting the damn things to seal properly on twisted doors and have often resorted to ploughing a 1/4" x 1/4" groove in the bottom of the door to act as a drip - alog with one or two other 'dodges'.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Thanks for that - I've just used silicone sealer I had lying around.

Luckily I've got a pretty good seal - but surely the idea is anything which gets under the door is trapped by its sort of second weather bar?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I fitted a Stormguard one a few years ago and went for their sealer but with similar misgivings; I can't actually remember what it was like now other than it was definitely black and different to silicone. Great help, eh?

It certainly worked very well.

David

Reply to
Lobster

If I have problems I can always do it again with the correct stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave,

Not always, especially on some of the warped doors that I've dealt with (they really needed replacement but the client department were too tight to do so) - and you cannot bend the bar to suit the door or vice-versa.

And as they were always b***dy awkward to seal I used to plough the bottom to stop the water that got past the initial seal and fitted a 'draught brush' to the inside of the door to 'stop the wind' - and if they were really awkward, fit a metal weather board as well.

And the fitting of the metal draught-strips around such a door was an art in itself - especially when you were back there the during the different seasons to adjust the b***ard things because the door had 'bent' yet again -all good stuff, especially when I gave young apprentices one to do for the first time in their career!

Tanner-'op

Who has thankfully retired from such shenanigans :-)

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Depends how much wind comes with it. I fitted a Stormguard to one of out doors and the wind will blow the water out of the trough. Admitedly this is on a door that you'd never get a seal on as it's champhered boards, there is a weather strip above but when it rains and blows it really rains and blows. IIRC it is the blowing in and bubbling up through the drain holes that was the problem, I've got bits of loose fitting tube in them now to stop the bubbling but still allow the water out.

I did use the pucker goop for fitting. I was miffed that there was barely enough in the tube. There probably is if you know the exact size bead to apply and you don't have an voids to deal with but there is no lee way. Next time I'll probably use an exterior graded silicon.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a Stormguard CDX. The screws are exposed* to the elements, but they supplied excellent stainless steel ones, about 1 1/4" x 10 IIRC. I recently phoned them to buy a replacement rubber insert strip and they sent me a new one FOC. The CDX doesn't have any bits sticking up to trip you up, but the penalty for that is that it needs a fairly accurate fit to the bottom of the door to make a seal, and after 5 years my door seems to have shrunk a bit so there is a bit in the middle that is not quite in contact any more.

  • The standard wooden weather bar keeps most of the wet off them

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison