storm reports

Simply untrue as far as the Met Office forecasts were concerned. They specifically stated, time after time, that the exact path of the storm and the intensity was difficult to predict accurately. Furthermore any general forecast is just that i.e. it does not, and cannot, predict what will happen at any particular point within the forecast area. A quick check of the road reports shows numerous closures due to fallen trees not to mention that at least two people have lost their lives as a direct result of the storm.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Dave Liquorice scribbled...

The warnings kept people at home, which has saved lives. There are still no trains running on at least one line in north Kent. Telly has been showing fuckwits driving under fallen trees. Common sense isn't that common when it comes to prats who *have* to be at work - even when their job is shuffling paper or running shops with no customers.

Reply to
Artic

MM scribbled...

Ain't you lucky. 200,000 without power, railways without trains, roads closed, homes and cars flattened. Never happened did it.

Reply to
Artic

MM scribbled...

Do they help when the phone line is down?

Reply to
Artic

Sure. Where there were storms. In our part of the country, and many other parts, there were NO storms, just high winds. It's a typical British panic, like when Heathrow gets 1/2 inch of snow and everything shuts down for a week.

MM

Reply to
MM

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:27:10 -0000, Artic > >>

And cost the country millions in lost production.

MM

Reply to
MM

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:29:11 -0000, Artic > >any lecci.

It never happened in LARGE PARTS OF THE COUNTRY.

MM

Reply to
MM

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:30:22 -0000, Artic

Reply to
MM

People die every single day in all kinds of accidents. It really is NOT news.

MM

Reply to
MM

Hopefully some lives were saved by the warnings.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Merely in the most densely populated, most economically active part of it.

Reply to
Adrian

What's an acceptable price per death prevented?

Reply to
Adrian

no. I thought we had escaped with nothing, then FIL was over - poplar tree down taken out th phone line, could we report it..walked the dogs, took camera, and theresa top snapped off one of me maples lying in the orchard.

As some Netowrk Rail wag put it: 'leaves on the line are a bit more serious when they are still attached to the tree'.

chahnces are that there's at least one tree down on every line in the SE.

wind was fronm a 'good' direction though by and large and all our power has survived as you can see.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that a surprise? I'd have thought that fast-moving air passing over the flat surface would (in the same way that fast-moving air provides lift from a wing) cause the top surface to be sucked upwards. As soon as that happens the wind would get under the screen and blow it around.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

To be fair what was cosnsitently said by the met office ansd serious weather sites was a major storm with a CHANCE of hurricane strength gusts. That the media make it more scary is - well - the media!

In the end the depression was still building as it left East Anglia and Denmark will take the pasting. Fair enough. It's their windmills..

Also the track was a leetle more southerly - the center was predicted to end up round Hull., but it moved south ending up over Anglia, which put the worst winds along the channel and Northern France.

IN short if God was aiming at Demnmark and wanted as little collateral damage as possible, it was the perfect track..

I thnk teh resposemns fraom the sea rail and air traffic and indeed the road warnings has been proprtiobnate and sensible. About 'just right'

It better to know there wont be a train, than to get on one and find yourself stuck for 4 hours while a crew comes up to take the branches off the line.

250,000 without electricity, a fair few without phone, just about every railway line in need of inspection, 2 dead and a lot of property damage is not a total non event. Being prepared for worse has made this a lot less of en event than it might have been.

I actually am amazed to find myself thnking that all in all, apart from the MSM over egging the pudding, the resposne has been almost exactly what I would have put in place myself.Had I been God or whatever.

It will take a few hours to clear 90% of te worst, a few days to get to

99% and one percent will be a real expense and time waster.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

  1. Car squished in Watford Mobile home squished in Kent Idiot swimming off Sussex. But he's not "official", since they're still looking for him...

Reply to
Adrian

That's a silly question of the "have you stopped beating your wife?" variety.

Reply to
Tim Streater

you should have been in Johannesburg when THEIR airport got half an inch of snow :-)

That REALLY was a case of 'your children will never see snow again', and to my knowledge that was the last time it happened - about 1981 or 1982.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Never been a Russian army general, then. Their view was that the best way to clear a minefield was to march a platoon or so of troops over it. Or possibly prisoners.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And LARGE PARTS OF THE COUNTRY are not suffereing rail delays closed airporst and ferry terminals are they?

Get that Northern chip off your shoulder or the next time the Lake distrct floods you can whistle for rescue helicopters.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher