Storm preparation...

On my only channel isles ferry trip the crew were throwing up. they said it was the roughest they had been in.

AFAIK there was only me and my daughter that weren't sick. The smell has put me off ferries.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, I expect the gusts will seek out naughty streets and protect and preserve nice streets. We must be in the latter category, since I'm sorry to report to the doom-mongers that there is no storm here near Spalding/Boston, despite the fact that we are right under that large arrow on the Met Office's Dire Warnings of Death Map yesterday evening.

MM

Reply to
MM

Will they also check whether it's one of those longer trains calling at the longer platforms that have been promised for years?

MM

Reply to
MM

I'm still waiting for someone to invent weather forecasting that works. Have they never heard of chaos theory?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Well, if they ~will~ eat chips! I crossed the Channel a hundred times during the 1970s, Dover to Oostende, when I was a guest worker over in West Germany. Never sick once. Mind you, I didn't eat chips.

MM

Reply to
MM

I believe the storm has been told by the Weather Vane (a stalwart fellow who works for God) to blow itself out by the start of the One O'clock News, else there'll be hell to pay.

MM

Reply to
MM

Has no one here ever heard of Kwells?

MM

Reply to
MM

Gawd the most foul tasting tablet I have ever taken, worse than penecillin. When I was young I'd get car sick within 100 miles, parents would give me Kwells might make 120 miles then...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In the '70s a mate and I went Fishguard - Cork. At an hour late, the Captain announced that we'd be putting out as the wind had gone from F11 to 10! I assumed that he'd consider sailing as we'd be straight into the wind(?)

Mate and I were well tanked up by this time and neither of us suffered from sea sickness. I wandered off out of the bar eating a pork pie. On reflection and judging by the reactions, that might have been a tad cruel.

Reply to
PeterC

Um, those couldn't have been Kwells (unless they've changed their formulation). Kwells today are almost completely tasteless.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

never worked for me - I used Avomine

Reply to
charles

In article , Cursitor Doom writes

and Diana.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The foulest-tasting medicine I've ever taken was a throat sedative spray prior to a gastroscopy.

MM

Reply to
MM

Well I last took 'em in the '70's...

I'm a much better traveller, even as a passenger, since I started driving in '78. Still not keen on boats that move about on waves unless I can see the horizon, same on planes in turbulance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

who is Diana?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well quite. And there's pictures today about the demise of some rock nonentity that I'd never heard of.

The Saturday mag in the Times is now completely content-free. It includes a couple of pages by that Caitlin Moran (Who she? - Ed) about a whole list of nonentities.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oddly enough, I had heard of *him*.

AS I was just saying to my wife 'the man who vchonicled te seedy unbderbelley of New York - as if anyone who hade lived there, even for a couple of days, didnt know'.

Memorable trip that. A gay wedding with punch spiked with LSD.

1973...all very silly really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'was' not 'is'.

Reply to
charles

how would I know?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did a Harwich/Hook in the 60s where our night crossing arrived an hour after the next day's day crossing. We had been up the German coast all night after failing to get into the harbour. All good fun, but nowadays the Woolwich ferry gives me the creeps :-)

Reply to
stuart noble