Storm preparation...

How did he know what type of shed it was?

Was the potter still inside?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Which suggests one should avoid being on one of the Fresian Islands around noon on Monday - all those isobars practically join hands.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

lotta windmills on the friesians...:-)

from an email thats going atround..

we are forecast high winds overnight and into tomorrow

However, the forecast wind output overnight is right down at @1500MW out of 8185MW metered although it then increases up to 4200MW as the wind gusts abate.

Must be some serious cutout in there.

in fact they are shutting 3/4 of all the farms down for the duration, by the look of it. Of course that may not be enough..:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What it really means is that even with all the power of the Met Office super computers forecasting is not an exact science. What is not in doubt is that it is going to be very big storm. Gusts are notoriously hard to forecast as they can be very localised.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Any good southern webcams to watch the carnage from comfort of north?

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

SWMBO has been watching wind surfers in the southwest on a web cam

one person swept out to sea and lost so far I think - Darwin award job 'went to look at the waves'

force 11/12 forecast in the channel (wight shipping area)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One wind turbine down at Teignmouth.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar

We're just hoping that it's not as bad as is being suggested as our eldest son (10) is going by coach and ferry to Paris with Trafford Youth Orchestra tomorrow morning :(

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

In 1987 I was entertained by my wife asking if I thought my boat would be alright. By the time I'd got up, opened the courtesy door to the garage, looked, and said "Looks OK to me" she'd remembered I was painting it and was laughing her head off!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Tell them to use the train.

Reply to
dennis

One of the trains that has been cancelled until they have checked that all is well, no trees fallen onto tracks, etc.?

Reply to
polygonum

Better than a ro-ro.

Reply to
dennis

Gently down the stream sounds like exactly what is wanted.

Reply to
polygonum

Looks dodgy!

Peter Crosland

Er no. He isn't. All ferries cancelled till pm at least.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yeah. I remember one trip in just a force 6 and people throwing up everywhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My uncle was planning on coming up from Ipswich to Sheffield tomorrow to visit my Mum...

JGH

Reply to
jgh

P&O confirm all ferries operating, but 60 minutes delay at the moment.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Hope he has good sea legs... I don't but managed to survive a night ferry crossing that was a bit rough. Didn't have a cabin just a "couchette", gave that up as a bad lot as you kept half rolling out of it. Eventually jamed myself between the floor and bulkhead and got a bit of kip. It wasn't until we were coming into sight of land again that I realised how much the boat was moving, horizon going from 30+ degrees above horizontal to 30+ degrees below...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had one of those many years ago. Was supposed to sail from St. Malo to Portmouth, but they couldn't get into St. Malo because of the weather, so we had to meet the ferry at Cherbourg. Force 8 to 9. I slept across a row of seats and woke twice - once when what sounded like all the crockery in the restaurant area fell on the floor and the other when half the shelves of duty-free collapsed (I was sleeping opposite the door to duty-free at the time.

Oddly enough, these days I struggle with rough crossings.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW