Storm power outages

Not when the mains power is out or no mobile networks. Try turning off the data connection and seeing how well the mapping/routeplanning works then. There are a few apps that have offline maps but the ones supplied with phones are nearly always online. Sheeple don't care how things work or what is required for them to work, they just accept the "magic".

And even if you have a data connection is that "clear" bit of road really clear or no data as the power has gone in that area?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Electric cooker to genset or portable gas ring to mains gas?

I sort of tempted to say use a bayonet cooker hose to connect a gas ring to the mains but I don't think it is allowed to leave the bayonet disconnected as the norm as it might leak or have the actuating button pushed accidentally. A locked off, in the off position, isolation valve before the bayonet mitigates most (all?) those problems though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Saturday 28 December 2013 22:55 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Which is why it is sensible to buy a proper app, eg CoPilot (wot I have) or some similar real GPS.

Yes, but a paper map guarantees you will never have that information. With a smart GPS, at least you'll have some info some of the time :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

It works fine thanks. It may not know of unexpected hold ups but it knows the average speeds for all the roads at various times of the day.

Even the free google maps will work offline if you enable it.

Its still at least as good as a map and nearly always a lot better. You can even get to a particular house number within a few meters most of the time, useful with these dark nights and the lack of house numbers these days.

Reply to
dennis

Only if it has a data connection to grab the required map tiles before hand. The versions I've played with you have to manually tell it to store the map but it only stores the current view resolution map, it doesn't store the highest resolution available to allow decent zooming in.

You are of course stuffed if you move off the tile(s) downloaded.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Correct.

Incorrect ... recent versions of gmaps on android (maybe iOS too?) don't use tiles except for the overview, it pre-loads a vector format which it can zoom and rotate smoothly and progressively show/hide details as you zoom in/out.

It won't let you pre-load areas when you're zoomed out "too far", but you can load multiple areas, the largest area it will let me load in portrait mode covers Stevenage down to Croydon, Watford across to Dagenham, if I then put it in airplane mode I can fully zoom in to any section of that map.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The built-in in my Disco III cheerfully and swiftly recalculates, but my Tomtom spends ages trying to get you back to the original route ...

Reply to
Huge

Thanks DD-e, the link is very useful. No, we don't have a tractor...electric fence is just to slow down the actions of the equine fence demolishers. It looks like an investment in a largish leisure battery or two (which were recommended for the fencing unit) to replace the old vehicle batteries currently put to this use, and a moderate inverter might be justifiable. I don't think 'the chancellor' would authorise the tractor on the basis of keeping her laptop going in a power cut! Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
ianp5852

ours went down on Dec 16th and was restored today. Fault - affecting a large number of people - was caused by BT work on High Speed broadband. And, of course my mobile phone only works in certain parts of the house - mostly.

Reply to
charles

But if you pay for a "live" service the relevant info is transmitted to you.

Reply to
charles

I wonder what they would have done if you had Total Care on your line? Fix yours as a one off priority within 24 or just leave yours off till they fix everyone elses.

When I had an ISDN line, they fixed a fault on it almost before I'd noticed it had failed, linecard in the exchange shared by a line at the local bank.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Friday 27 December 2013 17:54 snipped-for-privacy@mdfs.net wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I found this by accident (been looking for something like it before without success, maybe it's new??):

Anyway, that'll tell you what's broken within the UK Power Networks area.

Reply to
Tim Watts

So I typed in the name of our village and apparently I live just outside Boston on the US east coast.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That would explain any under-voltage problems ....

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Try the postcode.

Neither the name of the hamlet we are in, nor the next village (which is the parish) get anywhere near us, as they are both ambiguous.

Though it's St Ives that usually causes these problems. (do you mean St Ives, or Saint Ives?)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris