Storing Paper/Books in loft

Hi all,

Just a quick one - my Dad always had a big thing about not putting boxes of paper or books in the loft, as he claimed that there was a chance they could cause a fire hazard if the paper got very dry and warm during the summer. I would be interested to hear some people's opinions on this.

It has saddened me over the years as I've slowly realised that my father who was always the font of all knowledge when I was younger can actually be wrong on occasion!

Anyway - thanks in advance, Richard.

Reply to
Richard Conway

I cant really see it as loads of people have books up the attic, Comic books, old school books etc. Yes it's warm up there in the summer but check your roof it might have air vents, mine does. I have loads up there and no fire yet. My mum and dad have had my old books up in their attic for 15 years and no fire there either.

Reply to
htmark98

Not one I've come across, although most houses in summer are a tinderbox waiting for an excuse to go up. It is amazing that there aren't more house fires, really.

However, one real reason not to keep books up there is that they are heavy. If placed mid span on the timbers, which are usually weak ones intended only to hold up the ceiling, then you can flex them and damage the ceilings below. This problem can be mitigated by putting the boxes directly on top of a supporting wall.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Not too much of a problem that, as we have an internal wall and an RSJ replacing an old internal wall within about 4 foot of each other. Gives us a nice long thin strip of well supported storage space.

Reply to
Richard Conway

It's quite difficult for densely packed paper to catch fire - certainly it won't spontaneously combust (below 451 F anyway). My loft is full of books, papers, packing materials and I have never considered it a problem. The loft does get hot in the summer, well over 40 C and because of that I'm more concerned about mice or wasps chewing through the papers, than fire. If you are still worried, store your papers under a plastic header tank (if the joists will bear the weight). Then if there is a fire it'll melt the plastic tank and the water will extinguish the fire :-)

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

If the wiring were to overheat then obviously there'd be more stuff to catch fire. Apart from that I can't see they pose any real hazard.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

You need an ignition source for it to be a problem. This could be a window with old glass in it, if it functions as a lens. Otherwise it has to reach a very high temperature to self ignite (Shades of Farenheit 451...)

I've seen some very old newspapers in lofts that have not been a problem.

Reply to
John Weston

Books and stacked paper are VERY difficult to light.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

|>>Hi all, |>>

|>>Just a quick one - my Dad always had a big thing about not putting boxes |>>of paper or books in the loft, as he claimed that there was a chance |>>they could cause a fire hazard if the paper got very dry and warm during |>>the summer. I would be interested to hear some people's opinions on this. |>>

|>>It has saddened me over the years as I've slowly realised that my father |>>who was always the font of all knowledge when I was younger can actually |>>be wrong on occasion! |>

|> If the wiring were to overheat then obviously there'd be more stuff to |> catch fire. Apart from that I can't see they pose any real hazard. | |Books and stacked paper are VERY difficult to light.

Paper itself is quite difficult to light. During WWII it was my job the twist newspapers into spirals, tie it into a knot, put kindling on top then coal. If I did not get it right, the paper went out before it was all burnt.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

That's not quite the heroic answer to the old 'Grandad, what did *you* do you during the war?' question!

;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> Paper itself is quite difficult to light. During WWII it was my job the |> twist newspapers into spirals, tie it into a knot, put kindling on top then |> coal. If I did not get it right, the paper went out before it was all |> burnt. | |That's not quite the heroic answer to the old 'Grandad, what did *you* |do you during the war?' question!

I was only a child doing chores. ;o)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Would have thought that the water in the tank would conduct the heat away from the plastic so it wouldn't burn/melt? Have boiled water in a plastic cup over a candle before.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

"Marcus Fox" wrote in message news:xasJf.6161$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...

That's impressive, , since plastic is a poor conductor.

I remember making a paper kettle from plans in a Daily Mail Annual in the

1940s. Never dared to test it though. I would now but can't find the plan.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've boiled water in a paper cup.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Oh I believe you :-) I just didn't have the courage to do it myself at that very young age - about 7.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was MUCH older when I tried the paper cup thing - at least 11!

Reply to
S Viemeister

LOL! Far be it from me to suggest that Scots are behind the English...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Pfft. I actually tried it! You were a wee fearty. So there.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Absolutely true :-)

My Dad's strap was bigger than yours !

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My Dad actually encouraged such things! It drove my poor mother up the wall.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister