Storing paint

I'm clearly not using the right search words in google...

I want to find a source of new, empty, plastic containers (with lids) for storing the leftover paint from a redecoration project. Most of it is currently sitting in 2 litre steel cans that, strangely enough, are all just under half full and slowly beginning to add a delicate shade of ferrous oxide to the paint inside. It's all emulsion, and there's no sign of skinning.

All I seem to get from google is advice on how to get rid of *used* empty paint *tins*.

Do I really have to visit the Dulux factory and scrounge some?

Reply to
Roger Morton

Those air tight fresh food containers will suffice,something like these...

long as its air tight. and labelled the colour.

Reply to
George

Now there's a thought. I'll have to persuade SWMBO to contribute some of her vast tupperware collection. Nothing wrong with a square paint box, I guess :-)

Reply to
Roger Morton

Anyway, they use the shelf space more efficiently.

Reply to
1501

Yup - in fact the whole idea of having a container with straight edges is becoming quite appealing; no longer would I be bending the bristles out of shape every time I scrape excess paint off the brush.

Tricky bit is selling it to SWMBO...

Reply to
Roger Morton

Offer her *new* tupperware boxes?

Reply to
Rod

Coward's way out. I'm trying to get the kitchen clutter reduced, but I think SWMBO enjoys my inability to find things in it. And there's the risk that with less tupperware she'd feel the need to be taken out to dinner more often.

Maybe you're right....

Reply to
Roger Morton

Your local sandwich shop may have (used) lidded buckets used for bulk supplies of mayonnaise etc.

If you have a local food producer they may let you have some new ones for the begging.

You can get up to 1 litre here

Owain

Dulux paint centres sell them. I had this problem with the paint I had stored when I worked at the local school.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've used plastic milk bottles.

Reply to
Alan

Are you offering him them? ;-)

Reply to
George

Brewers sell plastic paint kettles with lids for very little money.

Reply to
Angela

I can't see what George was pointing at because the website wants me to sign up for something, but I assume it was some type of tupperware food container?

If you don't want to spen that much, you can buy the disposable ones, (like what you get chinese takeaway food in sometimes) and they come in 1 litre and 2 litre sizes.{1}

As to whether paint stays fresh in them, the answer is yes, because I have about 2 litres of a home mixed colour that I did my fireplace with in November - it started life as magnolia but got darkened with some brown, then had a few other odd colours mixed in until I got something I liked and I've saved the rest for touching up.

{1} They are about 5 for a quid in various food shops, freezer centres usually always have them, and some supermarkets

Reply to
Phil L

This ng is a much better resource! Thanks to all.

Reply to
Roger Morton