Storing paint

I just opened a 2.5L can of white eggshell paint which has been stored for about 6 weeks with about a litre left. There was a layer of hard oil on the top and the stuff underneath was ruined.

What is the best way to store paint in order to preserve it?

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Barnes

I transfer the leftovers to clean glass jars, and label them, so I know what it is, and when and where it was used.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Clean the lid and rim before replacing it. Otherwise, air can get in. Don't let it freeze or get too warm.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Upside down!

That lets the paint seal any tiny airgaps between lid and tin, helping to prevent the paint drying out. Or at least invert the tin briefly after closing it: not as effective but better than nothing.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, that's what I do.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

typical woman. organised. i left mine outside to freeze and got ruined. bugger.

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Been there, done that. That's why I'm (somewhat) organised now.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

me too.

RT

Reply to
[news]

...and while we're on the subject - don't do what so many people do without thinking and store all your paint, thinners etc in the cupboard under the stairs (usually cos they're worried about it freezing if they bung it in the garage or shed). Not a good idea to store hugely flammable stuff right underneath your only fire exit...!

Reply to
Lobster

a good point well made.

RT

Reply to
[news]

So where then? (in order of preference would be nice)

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

I store my tins upside down, so the skin is at the bottom of the paint when I come to use it again.

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

Thanks everybody for all your advice, I shall place my tins upside down from now on. Just have to get the lid on properly!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Barnes

You mena like a company that shall remain nameless in Basildon, that lost a large building as a result of the UPS on one of their computers catching fire, buring its way through the wooden floor, and falling into the paint storage room below ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I store mine upside down in large plastic boxes on a shelf. I have had one or two cans of paint leak, especially if old and lid is not circular any more, and as it leaked into the box, the mess was easily cleaned up,

Reply to
Ian Middleton