storing old paint

why would I want 2 tins of multi-coloured paint that doesn't match any of my walls?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Tip it upside down at about 45 degrees and rotate so that the paint coats the inside seam of the tin. Not so easy with modern thixotropic non-drip formulations so you may have to paint the seam directly.

You could put a layer of cling film on top of the paint surface in the style of keeping putty. Although you probably need a layer of aluminium foil on top of that since oxygen will diffuse through plastic easily.

Nitrogen (or inert gas) fill would help longevity if you can do it but nothing beats having only a small air gap above the paint.

Transferring a small amount to a tightly fitting plastic film canister or similarly tightly sealable food container is another way out. A small pot of the stuff for touch ups avoids venting the bulk container.

Basically you want to isolate the stuff from the environment and keep it cool but no so cold that it suffers frost damage.

One of the Dulux wood preservers/primers is particularly amusing if it gets frosted setting to a useless light blue jelly.

Reply to
Martin Brown