Stopping wingnut running off end of threaded bar

I think he meant...put the Nyloc nut on the end, with the wingnut 'inboard' of it...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, those are the birds I have. Four of them: the Blue and Gold Macaws and African Greys gleefully do that!

I'm probably going with peening over the end of the rod or deforming the threads another way, but I have had some success with a nut inside the 'wings of the wingnut: not totally foolproof, but works most of the time because where it is is difficult to reach.

How would putting a split washer between the nuts help? I understand (I think) how it tensions the nut against the thread preventing it from vibrating loose, but if something were turning the nuts singly or as a pair, how would the split washer help?

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Oh, and polyfiller in another post was funny!

Reply to
spam.goes.here2

Still wouldn't stop a Macaw taking it off. They reallt do have very strong and powerful beaks coupled to good dexterity and a brain that learns.

Two murdered up back to back with a split or serrated washer between might slow the parrot down but would take up a lot of threaded bar. I wouldn't be surprised if the nylon wasn't removed in fairly short order either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Two nuts tightened against each other lock fairly effectively bung a lock washer between them will reduce the ability of the nuts to separate as they are held by the lock washer. Still not convinced it would be parrot proof though. Not only are they strong, dexterous and clever they also have time, lots of time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Lost track of the diameter of the bar, but drill a hole and use a split pin?

Reply to
PeterC

Its M5 and thats probably why the parrots could undo nylon locking nuts. If it had been two M10 nyloks back to back, I think that would have been an order of magnitude too much even for those powerfull beaks! M10 nyloks take a 14inch spanner to turn on a bar with medium ease.

If the OP wants to give the birds a real challenge, rig something with M16 threaded bar and locking nuts.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Clot" saying something like:

It is, or either.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon