stopcock "arrow" indicator

I've a stretch of pipe which will have a brass stopcock on it. It will be fitted with the water running one way, and when the new kitchen is finished the water will run the other way. The stopcock has an arrow embossed on the side. I assume this is for indication only - I've never heard of a one-direction stop c*ck - its just a "tap". (I know some service valves are supposedly on way). Or am I wrong and the stop c*ck should be fitted in a particular direction ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

ISTR being told that if a stopcock is fitted with the flow reversed then the water pressure might push the jumper into the seating and so stop water flowing. That may have been from the same school as the instruction to fetch a left-handed mug and a dozen round tuits but it was also explained as being in the nature of a sort of isolating valve to limit flow back into the "mains".

Reply to
Robin

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Arrow should be in the direction of the flow / supply.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

yes, to indicate the direction it must be fitted in.

Yes, and as with all "just taps", they are asymetrical, they must be fitted in the direction of the flow. Look inside the tap. You will see that the inner pipework goes from the "in" end, bends through

90 degrees up towards the handle where the flow is stopped by the handle screwing a plunger /down/ onto the incoming flow. Essentially, this shape:

--+-- | +|-----, ||+---, \ |+| \ \ / \ \ \

---+ | \ '---

-----+ ---> '----

Like this:

with the outflow horizontal.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Even better diagram here:

jgharston

Hum. I've never thought about it before. So, I guess I need a bi-directional full-bore service valve. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

If it's for isolation (or low pressure, eg, from storage tank), yes. A gate valve would also do (that's one where a gate descends across the flow of water to stop it - peer down the pipe as you operate it to see what happens).

If it's a supply feed, no, you need a stop tap.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

It is to isolate some pipework that may be used at some point in the future (to avoid a long dead leg of stagnant water). Also, if I get a new water supply to the house, this section of pipe will have the water flowing the other way. It needs to shut off the water completely, which a gate valve does not do.

By "supply feed" do you mean the main isolation for the water supply to the house ? Yes, a stopcock is required for this of course.

I'll get something like this:

these usually have an arrow on too ! However as far as I am aware the thing is symmetrical, and the is only for indication purposes (despite what I may have said earlier). Am I correct on this ?

Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

No. The ball can be lifted off its polymer seat by the water pressure if fitted backwards. Though there is a seat the other side, it's not as "fixed" being held in by a retaining clip.

A house I recently worked on had the kitchen floor ruined by a weeping service valve which had been fitted backwards.

Reply to
Skipweasel

So is there any reversible valve that I can use ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Probably a gate valve.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , sm_jamieson writes

As long as it's accessible enough swopping it round in the future wouldn't be that hard.

Reply to
chris French

Does not seal off completely in my experience, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Yeh, although half the point of the exercise was to avoid that. How about 2 ball valves back to back ? As long as the one that the water reaches first is used to switch off you would be OK. Oh, and make sure the other valve is fully on all the time. Hopefully the small restriction caused by the open valve would not be enough to mess with the seal. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Or two, back-to-back.

Reply to
Skipweasel

TapRays!

Reply to
Skipweasel

Wots the saying - grate minds think alight ? And a big sign saying "to any operators of these valves, here are the vital instruc ... (big bit of burnt wood where some soldering has obviously occurred) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In message , chris French writes

What about just clamping the pipe?

2 weeks in Madeira have left me with a rather casual attitude to closing off plastic water pipes.

Technique 1..... fold end of pipe back on itself and secure with cable tie. 2.... weld end closed with blow lamp or cigarette lighter etc.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Last year I had to ask on here as the full-bore valve didn't have an arrow. If there is a correct way, it should be indicated; no indication implies that it doesn't matter but sometimes it does.

Reply to
PeterC