Stop the squirrels

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:42:39 GMT, in uk.d-i-y "Patrick" strung together this:

Razor wire? Put the table upside down, then the squirrel will fall off when he gets to the top!

Reply to
Lurch

I tried a 3/4" iron rod covered in axle grease as the post. Stopped them for a while. Until they learnt to jump 10 yards from a local tree...

More permanent solutions:

Coherers

Wasn't there an advert a few years ago showing a squirrel managing to overcome a whole range of obstacles to get to a feeder?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It's a shame that some people feel that the only way to deal with a nuisance from wildlife is to kill it. The squirrel has just as much right to be there as the birds. Just (as per previous suggestions) use your brain to invent a more squirrel proof unit and enjoy the spectacle of seeing it tested.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Lataral thinking .. I like it .. ;-)

LOL ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

That was actually me wearing a costume.

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

Right. Shoot them as well.

Almost anything hat is attached to teh ground somejow is squirrle reachable,

Smart rats, thise sqirroids.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I addition to the other suggestions, chilli powder in the bird food might help. Apparently birds can't taste the "active ingredient" in chilli (capsaicin [sp]) but mammals can. I've seen squirrel repellent based on chilli extract as well.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

So why haven't rats got rights to exist then?

We may view them as a pest, but I dare say a rhino in the south african scrubland would view a human being with a hunting rifle to be just as much a pest. Doesn't make either right.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

When the rhinos start producing hunting rifles, they get to argue.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If it's a red squirrel I totally agree.

But if it's a grey BANG !

Reply to
G&M

You kidding. I am assured they are one of the most evil tasting meats around.

Reply to
G&M

Can't wait. I have no time for game hunters.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

When the yanks were in greenham common, the pest controller that shot them in the Aldermarston complex could sell every one he shot to them, mainly for BBQs in the summer!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Yeah! What has the grey squirrel ever done for us!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I am sure thy feel thay have. However, I have made a unilateral policy based on sound genocidal precedents.

Ialways fnd Mark Twains Jim has the last word on these points. "I guess a rattlesnake ain't responible fuh bein a rattlesnake, but ah puts ma heel on him jess the same if I ketch him roun my chillun"

Who is talking right?

If rats have god given rights to live, then one of God's chillun wouldn't have sold me an air rifle and a box of slugs AFAIAC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not at all. Long history as stew base. Apperently delicious.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite right. Caught one gnawing my nuts once. Bastard!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Their tastes are nearer ours than the french or chinese, in those countries if it moves they probably have a recipe for it...

Reply to
Badger

Hmm. Then why weren't they all eaten during the war like most of the rabbit population then ?

Reply to
G&M