stop roller chair scratching wooden floor....????

Guys, Anything available to stop my office chair with the hard plastic wheels on the bottom from scratching the polish on the new oak floor I have just laid? Can you get soft nylon wheels instead?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kaiser Sose

Remove the rollers.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You can get wheels with a soft rim for hard floors. Last time I bought an office chair from IKEA, I had to specify if I wanted plastic or rubber wheels.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Buy one of those plastic floor protectors designed to be used under office chairs?

Styx

Reply to
Styx

A mat. There are even shaped ones, specifically designed for use with office chairs at desks.

Colin Bignell.

Reply to
nightjar

I use a rug. It looks nicer than plastic floor covering. Even a "soft" wheel in frequent contact with a polished floor will leave a mark. My rug and hard plastic wheeled char are on a softwood floor which is far more prone to marking than Oak. Still no marks on the floor after 2 years of use.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

And similarly:

Where can I get a sheet of transparent flexible pvc about 2.5mm thick to protect a table top from childrens biro's etc? I know somebody has done this before because I have seen children's desks on sale with said material already on. Yet whenever I ask about such a simple thing as 'where do you get this from' in the shops, nobody has any idea. There are large - very expensive - cutting mats, and there are shaped desk protectors a bit bigger than an old fashioned blotter: but a simple sheet of plastic that you cut to size yourself - No chance!

Or so it seems...

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Reply to
spamlet

I look back fondly to the days when a quick sanding solved any problems like this. Now of course we all tend to be a lot posher, so maybe some visquin (do they still cal it that?) from the builder's merchant would do the trick.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

If it doesn't have to be transparent, flooring vinyl offcut.

Supple PVC Per Metre 1200mm (47") Wide

1200mm wide sold by the linear metre. (Equivalent to £33.73 per square metre inclusive) Price: £40.48 Including VAT at 17.5%

Incidentally, the above firm also do hair-dryer shrinkable secondary double glazing, which hopefully I shall remember as it seems to be requested occasionally.

sort of plastic used for industrial curtain doors might be a possible:

Owain

I don't think sanding children is allowed now.

I can remember at primary school, as a very special end of term treat we were all "allowed" to sandpaper our desks and revarnish them.

The floor got a bit sticky but the desks did look very nice.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I suspect part of your problem is that PVC isn't good material for that use, particularly not transparent PVC which doesn't have a cloth reinforcement.

Not PVC, but suitable material:

PVC, transparent.

Personally I'd just buy a cheap PVC tablecloth for the anklebiters. Most fabric shops sell cloth reinforced PVC for affordable prices.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Just as well. I wouldn't fancy the chances of my old Bosch orbital against the sort of chrome plated, pearl handled hardware children seem to be waving around these days.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I thought they were trying to discourage children from bringing mobile phones into school...

Reply to
Andy Hall

I use a similar solution, after finding the clear plastic wasn't enough to stop a ring of wheel indentations appearing on an underlying, good carpet. I fastened a sheet of plywood to the underside of the rug and that has lasted now for a couple of covering rugs. The first design used a carpet offcut that didn't last long before it was marked, the current one is a proper "industrial" type - carpet tiles may work. There's no sign of marks on the underlying carpet, but watch out for sun bleaching...

Clear plastic may stop scratching and dirt, but is useless against the concentrated point-pressure of chair wheels, according to my experience.

Reply to
JohnW

DRAW! your own conclusions.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I was looking for ammunition of that calibre.

Reply to
Andy Hall

As long as you don't find it lodged in your chest, good luck.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Not meaning one of Norm's American Colonial style renditions, BTW

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I think you've won that round.

Did you think of it yourself, or find it in a magazine?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Looks like me heading for Boot Hill then, Maybe I'll be interred with my recently asked question about the Freud raised panel door video. :( "Raised Panel Doors Made Simple" that is.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack