Stop Beads Before or After?

Hello All

Will be attempting plastering this weekend repairing a chimney breast where a surround has been removed (Feeling very brave)

I have read lots of tips here but still have a question:

The fireplace at the moment is an open fire which just has exposed brickwork inside. I want to keep this exposed as I have done in my front room and just plaster the outside. My mate who did the other one used a stop bead for the edges of the opening and the finish was nice and straight. I plan to do the same thing fixing stop beads to all 3 sides. My question is should the beads go on prior to the skim coat or before the render/rough coat? I forget what he did. TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

The bead is fitted to the exposed brickwork, then plaster up to it. Remember to choose an edge that matches the depth of plaster you're applying, but most standard corner trim will probably do if the plaster is going back to original depth.

Reply to
BigWallop

plaster is

Great, thanks BW