stoney cove

Completing our open water PADI this weekend ( LE9 4DW)

anyone live anywhere near for a possible meet this saturday?

Reply to
geoff

Brrrrrr!! That takes me back. What a fecking horrible place to dive. Water temperature seemed to hang around 4C all year round. Like having icicles hammered into your forehead.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It isn't *that* bad. I used to fill my wetsuit(*) with hot water from the showers before getting in, and the cheeseburgers in the pub were nice.

Hah. St.Albans Subaqua Club used to do a New Years Day dive there. Slipping on the ice while getting in/out was always a strong possibility.

Need a better fitting hood. I got to the point where the only bits of me in direct contact with the water were my lips.

It is (was) like diver soup, though. The only place I've been down with one buddy and come up with a different one ...

(* In the days when I dived in a wetsuit.)

Reply to
Huge

Good Luck. I did my Open Water in Winter. Christmas Eve to be precise. But we where in the Red Sea. And I was a bit chilly then! Baz

Reply to
Baz

Be cold enough on top, never mind going under. Though come to that it may be warmer underneath this weekend!

But HTF did they get a Viscount down there?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It's only the first 20 feet or so, and they craned it out over the edge and dropped it ...

Reply to
Huge

The club I learnt with (Leicestershire Scout Sub Aqua Unit) had (*) a tradition of putting a Christmas tree complete with lights and music in - usually on the 7m shelf. That tended to involve industrial quantities of cable ties, silicone sealant and car batteries so not that far off topic really.

(*) Certainly back in the late 80's to mid 90's not sre if they still do it.

Reply to
Ferretygubbins

That's seriously kewl.

Reply to