Stock up on candles.

"A study carried out for Ofgem suggested the change would boost the case for building wind and marine turbines in and around Scotland.

That could mean an end to plans for new UK nuclear power plants."

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

fall from £24 to less than £5"

So, what are the charges really measured in?

Annual cost per kW of connection capacity, perhaps?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The implications of the current failure to grasp the need for predictable cheap power into the future aren't being realised. In my own area (computing), companies in/around London have not been able to get any extra data centre power for some years now, with no possibility until after the Olympics - there isn't enough power available in the area. Lots have been forced to expand in other EU countries, although they would have liked to do to in the UK.

Then there's the realisation that we have no viable strategy for ongoing cheap power (actually we're artificially increasing the price), which is making us uneconomic for both services which depend on computing and industry which also depends on competitively priced power on an international scale.

I noticed the former Linpac factory site in Dunstable has just been demolished, after failing to find any new takers after Linpac moved their moulding factory to Spain (IIRC), when electricity and the carbon levy in the UK made continued industrial production in the UK unviable.

Government _used_ to understand that a cheap reliable energy source was essential for UK competitiveness. That realisation has completely evaporated in the last 10-15 years, although it's as true now as it ever was.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Also, what will happen if Scotland goes for independence, which looks more likely each year?

Reply to
Moonraker

remember Bannockburn - the last time the English tried it.

Reply to
charles

That was simply a fiction film, made for Scottish propaganda.

Reply to
Moonraker

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

Wasn't a similar promise made when the first nukes were built? Electricity was gonna be so cheap, they were going to pay us to use it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

who the f*ck knows? its out by a factor of a thousand for capital costs.

that wont wash either.

at around 10,000 hours its about 25p per kw/h for a typical offshore wind.

So nearer to £240 per kw.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah. Its nothing to do with generation, its about grid access costs.

so slashing connection charges by 80% can make wind electricity at 15p a unit competitive with nuclear at 8p?

Yeah, right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was what I meant, I should have said charge for capacity, rather than cost I suppose.

Reply to
Andy Burns

send them all back north of the border where they belong.

Reply to
djc

And vice-versa. Too many fecking English in Scottish jobs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

West Lothian Question.

Don't seem to recall you complaining when Scotsman Blair was replaced by Scotsman Brown in charge of English law. Come to that, the new one's a Cameron...

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Champ

Now that, actually, I'm not in favour of - I take it you mean the absurd situation where Scottish MPs sit on matters that are purely England and Wales.

About as Scottish as my cat, I think.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon