Stiffening Joists

When I said look, I ment look in the tables, not just take my word that it will work. Usenet is a great place to get ideas, but because there are some real nutters out there you have to check them yourself using independant sources.The only person that you should be able to

100% trust on this is the BCO, and he may require you have advice form a strutrial engineer, which he will check.

You may find that you need to lay taller joists next to the existing ones. Simply nailing an extra few inches on does not work.

To get them in, you gate a few tiles out if the roof, this is not too hard with modern tiles, but is somewhat a pain with a thatch.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Why not just go with 9x2 , no worries then. If you can avoid fixing t the existing joists then your new floor will be independent an hopefully you can avoid imposing any load onto the existing ceiling hopefully no cracking etc. Getting the new joists in place can be very awkward especially aroun chimneys and existing trimmers but hey ho thats life

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

A well known rule of thumb, and one which I personally use and trust is that for a 2" joist the depth should be half the span (in feet) plu an inch. Pretty much what your diary says.

As an aside, talking about changing standards, Ive recently cut a larg roof for an extension to a 1950's house. The existing roof is ALL 4"x2" except the hips and purlins, with absolutely NO steel. It has slopin ceiling in various places with overhanging rafters. The new roof is 6x2 ceiling joists, 5x2 rafters, there are 2 no 7x UBs, 1 cranked 6x 3 1/2 UB and 2 flitch beams each consisting of tw

8x2's and a 10mm x 150mm steel plate. Its absolute madness, the existing roof has been up for over 50 year with no visible signs of movement but now its not good enough, it crazy

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Nick, that's why the Forth Road Bridge is starting to fail and the Golden Gate is not. Everything is designed right on the limit instead of what looks, feels right and contains 100% margin.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410