Sticky tape

Poser for the team. I have two bits of PVC(?) plastic sheet to attach together; the sort of thick, flexible black stuff that projector screens are made of (cos that's what they are.) I need to extend one, so it drops lower, by splicing in a plain section (pinched from the old screen) between the motorised drum and the top of the screen material.

Can anyone recommend a sticky substance that'll do the job? Double sided tape? Glue? It's a fairly smooth surface and hopefully will sit flat enough to take a tape without rucking itself stupid.

Looking at the old one, which may have been extended post-manufacture, attaching the two bits of material together seems to have been done with some form of gloopy, non-setting double sided tape or glue. The two pieces are overlapped by about 35mm and the material hangs vertically so the joint is effectively in shear.

Attaching to the drum shouldn't be too hard. Probably a bit of gaffa tape would do that happily plus the remains of what was used on the donor screen.

Reply to
Scott M

Have you tested it with solv weld? You might be in luck.

Gaffa is just duct tape without decent stick.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's the sort of left field thinking I like, ta. Not sure if the stuff is actual PVC or not; definately one of the "try an inconspicuous corner" to watch it crinkle up to nothing ;-)

Funnily enough I read that after posting. Never really twigged the difference, although chances are I've never played with proper gaffer tape. Although it might explain a roll I had to use once that didn't stick well to carpet.

Reply to
Scott M

If you use a ds tape make sure it is fabric reinforced otherwise it will stretch as you pull it off the roll and then contract later and make the screen cockle.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Ta, good info. Tho I've no idea where to go for it; Screwfix's selection is limited.

I think I'm going to break out the sewing maching and try a piece...

Reply to
Scott M

In article , Bob Minchin writes

Strange, all I've used have had a paper backing to stop them sticking to themselves and that has stopped the risk of stretching.

Reply to
fred

My experience of flexible PVC is that the glue on any kind of adhesive tape ends up turning gloopy or eventually slimy due to migration of the plastic iser used to make the PVC flexible into the glue; most of the joints I see that were made in the manufacture of these things seem to be welded. In the short term double sided tape should do fine but if it needs to last you may have to be prepared to remove it and re-do the joint at some point when the glue has lost too much strength.

Reply to
docholliday93

The backing is paper but the glue is impregnated into a coarse woven fabric. At least let the tape relax a while after taking off the reel.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

How about a simple sewing job, probably zig-zag stitch to minimise risk of tearing along the needle holes?

Reply to
Dave W