Sticky tap

My cold water tap is a bit spongy, when I turn it off it kind a creeps back a part turn and starts dripping unless I turn off very tightly.

What is likely cause and fix.

it is a normal tap, not a mixer or ceramic.

Reply to
SS

Could be that the washer has gone spongy or maybe the seat has got a little pitted and the washer is not sliding smoothly over the seat as it seals.

A quick examination of the washer should show you what is happening. a good washer will be relatively hard and show a shallow impression of the seat without and pips or craters.

If the seat is damaged then you can get a re-seating tool to clean it up in situ rather than buy a new (pair) of taps.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You'll find out whats up when you open the tap up. You'll ned a new washer, and maybe a descale, and not very likely, a seat regrind.

NT

Reply to
Tabby