Sticky Binoculars

We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has recently become quite sticky to the touch. Washing up liquid and other gentle cleaners have had no effect.

Any other possible ways of removing the stickiness? (Apart from angle grinders, of course).

Reply to
HellyB

Dunno if it always happens with age, or just to items handled by certain people with a particular composition of sweat/grease on their skin ... my old mice wheels go that way if left for a year or two.

Reply to
Andy Burns

perhaps a dusting of talc or cornstarch would help...

Reply to
John Rumm

My wife has 'lost' several pairs of shoes (some absolutely unworn) because the rubber soles have become sticky - a bit like chewing gum.

I think all of the shoes had been put away for several years, and kept in their original shoeboxes, which while certainly not air-tight, would have had very little flow of air through them.

I have a similar problem with a pair of PMR446 walkie-talkies, which now have sticky rubber cases.

The conclusion I have come to is that the solvent in the rubber has probably gradually evaporated, and being trapped in the box and unable to disperse, has reacted with the rubber (partially dissolving its surface).

I've since kept the walkie-talkies in a box with an ill-fitting lid, and I reckon the stickiness is slowly beginning to disappear. Maybe the binoculars would respond similarly.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

shit - you still have mice with wheels?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With scrollwheels - yes doesn't everyone? With balls instead of optical - no.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Talcum powder

Reply to
alan

Yes. Get a life.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I keep thinking I should try and find a bollocked rodent - optical ones seem to have a liking for dog hair, and wig out completely when it blocks the optics. At least this 'ere Dell mouse doesn't have a red glowing bum though, unlike its predecessor.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I've seen it plenty of times with rubber pinch rollers in tape drives, but it seems quite random and independent of use, storage conditions etc.

Sadly I don't think there's a cure - once it's started going like that it'll just get worse :-(

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

It sounds as if this could be a use for Sugru. See the thread in this group "Has anyone used/found a use for Sugru?" started two days ago.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Is this "rubberised" a thin coating for "soft touch" that was all the rage a few years ago? If so patience with a soft scraper (finger nail) will get it off. If it's a thicker bump protection then as Jules says it'll just get worse. I suppose talc might help a bit but the underlying substance is turning to a liquid...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not really, its the demise of the material. I had some so called rubber soled shoes that went this way. You may be able to seal it for a while I suppose but the rubber eventually degrades to a kind of gooey liquid. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There is a very well known make of cassette deck which was made by 3M Wollensack, which had self destructing pressure rollers like this. A sticky roller is not a good idea of course!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think his mice also have balls.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Talc or diatomaceous earth sold in garden centres as organic snail discourager (don't breathe the dust). You want something to bind the stickyness and make it inert again at the surface.

My old Psion 3 went this way all over. I think the damage is caused by ozone breaking up the soft rubber polymer to shorter chains.

I don't know if you can ever really recover since the material is basically shot at this stage and not far off losing structural integrity.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

My old mobile phone had a rubber coating on the back. It became hard and shiny and grubby looking so I cleaned in with IPA. Which worked but it then went soft and sticky.

Reply to
djc

I've got the outer skin of a Nikon D200 in that state :(

Reply to
Adrian C

You can get body armour for cameras

Reply to
fred

I removed the gunge on my rubberised binoculars with neat washing up liquid but it took me an hour or so of repeated treatments. I smeared the washing up liquid on and left it to soak in for about 10 minutes then rubbed it off with a cloth also soaked in neat washing up liquid, and kept repeating that until all the gunge came away. That was about a year ago, I have just checked them and they are still gunge-free.

Reply to
Rob Miller