Sticking on kitchen floor

I know this is not something the best DIY ers do but I want to replace my old kitchen floor with sticky back tiles.

It already has sticky back tiles on the floor. There isn't much wrong with them other than scratched and old , they are stuck and hard to get up. They were put over the original floorboards ( not by me - the previous owner) . I was going to put my new tiles over the top but OH is saying this is not correct. ( he wants to put vinyl down but I have the tiles and can do this sort of tiling - and since its me who has to do it......

Is it OK to put new ones over the top?

Reply to
sweetheart

As long at the existing floor is flat & sound & grease free. Stagger the joins in both directions.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They should stick well to the old tiles and, if you haven't already got lifted edges, you should be fine.

I'm going for sheet vinyl over the existing sheet vinyl because it's a solid, but wavy, floor. I'm getting a man in though. No way I fancy cutting that contract grade 2mm stuff. I believe they soften it with a hot air gun first, but I just don't like jobs where one mistake is game over.

Reply to
stuart noble

Clean the old floor, stagger the joints. One advantage of vinyl tiles is mistakes are no big deal, nice for the less than confident.

NT

Reply to
NT