Sticking / fixing quarter beading on filled window sill

Hi,

I have repaired a significant hole in a window frame with expanded foam and resin filler and I=92m pleased so far with the results. I want to replace the quarter beading. The piece of beading I currently have is a bit bowed and I will probably try to buy a replacement that is straighter. However, how do I fix the beading? The =93outer=94 window frame is wooden and the galss panes are set in alumininium. The beading seems quite a hard red wood. The old beading had =93pin=94 nails and some "mastic" holding it in place to the wooden frame. I tried banging in some new nails to the new beading but they made little impact in the beading. I don=92t want to split the beading when I nail in the pins. Should I pre-drill holes through the beading using the narrowest wood drill I can find? Is there some kind of adhesive I should use, such as No Nails, as well as pins to hold the beading in place?

Regards

Clive

Reply to
Clive

I'd go for No Nails type stuff, especially if the beading will be unpainted (ie so nail heads would show).

If you do want to pin it, the trick is first to invert the pins on a hard surface and tap the sharp ends with a hammer to flatten off the points: that stops the wood splitting.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Pre-drilling does work too thought and may save a little angst. The 1mm bit supplied in most kits does the job (unless you've broken it already).

Agreed on using any of the sticks like group of glues with just using the pins to tack it.

Reply to
fred

One of the newer grab adhesives would do the job, Serious Stuff or Sicks Like Sh*t.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Beading on windows takes a lot of punishment, so even hardwood doesn't usually last long. Coating the new stuff in 2 part wood hardener before you fix it extends its life considerably IME. Or, if you sort of "wipe" it with your resin filler, enough should penetrate to add some protection. It takes a lot longer to go off in thin layers, so you get more time to rub it into the wood. Come to that, I might even consider using it to fix the beading. I certainly wouldn't use fixings.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Clive