Sticking down exterior slate tile

A few months ago I laid some slate tiles outside on a mortar bed, and unfortunately one has lifted. Underneath the mortar bed is completely flat and undamaged, and I'd like to be able to just stick the tile back down with something, rather than hack out the old mortar (no doubt having to disturb the surrounding tiles too) and replace it - with the risk it'll probably lift again anyway?

Any thoughts as to suitable adhesive? Or is it Portland Time?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Lobster writes

I'd try with a 'No More Nails' type adhesive. A solvent based one is probably better outside.

Did this when a slate tile in my dads conservatory came loose. It worked fine there. I don't know how it would hold up ouside, but probably last while. If it comes loose again in couple of years well, you haven't lost anything.

Reply to
chris French

Or epoxy.

Reply to
Josey

Dare I suggest car body filler?

DIYSOS

Reply to
DIYSOS

Thanks for the replies. I'd considered both epoxy and No Nails as possibilities, I must admit: which do we think would be likely to last longer (or any other suggestions?)?

I appreciate either of these is a bit of a bodge, but as Chris says, if it lasts a couple of years (by which time I'll know if I have a general problem with other tiles) that's fine by me!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Leadmate might be worth a try.

stuff, sticks like the proverbial to a blanket, frostproof and good for '25 years' whatever that means. still a bodge, tho.

RT

Reply to
[news]

In article , Josey writes

Bodged one, only temp of course!, with silicone sealer on a friends house eight odd years ago, still there and held in place fine:))

Reply to
tony sayer

What's the problem in doing it properly, with a pourable grout mix of water and neat cement ?

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Well OK... I've never heard of using water and neat cement; is that a tried and tested method for a job like this?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Absolutely. Mix water and cement to make a grout the consistency of custard - you only need half a cupful for one tile :) It's the proper way to lay quarry tiles, using a watering can to pour the grout into the joints. Leave it 48 hours or more to set before walking on it and it will be stuck rock hard for ever.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Car body filler or epoxy :)

Reply to