Sticking Bumper Protectors

I bought a couple of shiny black plastic flexible bumper protection strips from Halfords to stick on the rear of my caravan. They came with the usual sticky foam glue strip where you peel off a backing strip and simply push them on. The strips have stuck really well to the caravan except for the ends where I tried to bend them around a fairly tight radius so they offered a little side protection as well. The glue strips have stuck well to the caravan on these corners, but have peeled away from the plastic strips, leaving them sticking out IYSWIM. I could just cut them off & forgo the corner protection, but I wondered if anybody had any ideas about a better glue which would reattach the plastic strips to the foam gluestrips or directly to the caravan. I think the caravan surface is capped ABS, but it could be glass fibre gelcoat. If that bit's important, I'll try to find out what the material is.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

Hat about applying a bit of heat to encourage them to take the shape - hairdryer?

Reply to
John

Best bet is probably to mitre the plastic strip around the corner rather than try and find a glue that will take the tension of the plastic strip wanting to be straight.

Depending on the plastic it might form and stay formed around the corner with the application of some gentle heat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've had great success sticking car trim bits with Evostick Serious glue - including soft plastic that comes with a self adhesive strip. But it will need clamping in some way for a day or so until it sets fully. Very careful use of a hot air gun should help remove the 'spring' from the corner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, Dave - sounds like just the stuff. Don't have a hot-air gun, but next time we're away with the 'van and on a mains hook-up, I'll try the wife's hair-dryer. Haven't heard of this glue before, so I'll look for a local stockist, plenty available on t' net, though. Would you recommend trying to scrape off the existing glue strips which are well and truly stuck now? Sticky tape should hold it in place while it sets.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

When fitting similar strips in the past, I've always used the manufacturer's corner caps rather than trying to bend around a tight radius.

For glueing it in place I would use Bridgebond.

Steve Firth

Hot air guns can be bought for a few quid - but make sure you get a dual heat one. The low setting would be the one to use.

B&Q stock it.

Sort of depends on how well it is stuck to the strip - and how long that lasts under the heat of the sun, etc.

Like most glues the tighter the contact the better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Found some Evostick Serious Glue in the local Wilkinsons, so will give it a go this weekend while we're away with the 'van. Thanks to you & others for their help. There didn't appear to be any endcaps in Halfords and local Motor Parts shop didn't even stock the bumper protectors. If there had been a right angled corner on the 'van, then I would have mitred, but curved corner prevents this. If the glue doesn't work, I'll just trim them off short. Thanks again.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

I'd almost guarantee it will work - but clamping the trim to the bumper with G clamps etc until it sets would be my choice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks again Dave. I will use clamps if possible, but the "bumper" is just a sort of flat ridge projecting for about 20 mm from the caravan wall and about 30 mm deep and is shiny plastic, so there's very little to get hold of and the clamp wouldn't press on the new strip unless I can insert a wedge or something. Sticky tape may have to suffice!

Cheers

John M

Reply to
John Miller

Park it near a wall and wedge bits of timber between the van and the wall.

Reply to
dennis

Did the job this weekend, applied the Evostick Serious Glue without removing existing sticky foam, fastened plastic strips down with a couple of bits of masking tape - worked a treat. Thanks all.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

Good. And it seems to be pretty unaffected by heat etc over the years - unlike contact types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)