sticking a yoga mat to the inside of a WC cistern - as you do...

the plan is to reduce condensation in my bathroom - it's very small with a large window and the cistern makes the o/s wall it is fixed to mouldy. I already have a humidistat controlled extractor fan and heated towel rail, so this is the next anti-damp manoevere found on the web - to line the cistern with foam. Any ideas as to what glue to use? And how do you spell manoevre?

Reply to
petermeakins

Either maneuver if you are a septic, or manoeuvre if you are UK, or manoeuver, if you want the verb I think

Is this to stop the cistern getting condensation? Piss less, or feed it from the hot tap :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Over here we used to be able to buy a kit of foam pieces and glue to line the inside of an older toilet tank. It was only partially successful because by the time one got around to doing it the inside surface of the tank was usually a bit grungy and even though glued, cold water would get in 'behind' the foam liner pieces. Nowadays however most toilets (Except perhaps very, very cheap ones?) come with the foam moulded in place! Our present one does and it minimizes condensation, although we still get a small amount of dew forming on the cold water delivery pipe, in very humid weather. Again however since in Canada many months require some heating and the colder the weather the dryer the air tends to be, humidity is only occasionally a problem. Have never seen it done but also apparently there is a special valve that allows some hot water to be added to the cold toilet supply; so that temperate (but not outright hot) water does not allow condensation to form. Too hot water might also melt the wax seal below the bowl! But btw is the bathroom very humid? Although ventilation should be adequate because of the fan? Cos dampness can equate with mould/rot. Good luck.

Reply to
terry

If the water HAS condensed on the cistern, THEN it is not IN the air, and can't condense anywhere else. Fit a drip tray under the cistern with a drain to the bowl (or wipe it off, and take the cloth away).

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

or reduce the RH in the room

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is the extractor fan actually at the same end as the door? I just have a suspicion that the room is 'long and thin', and that the air flow is simply not occurring at the far end. That is, the humidistat/fan is keeping the near end well aired and yet the far end never has so much as a zephyr. In conjunction with the 'far end' being a cold outside wall, I think that could cause problems.

Reply to
Rod

Thanks all replies. Yes, the cistern is against the cold outside wall so with cold water entering it and hot showers adjacent plus washing drying on the landing outside is I think keeping it dripping damp in some weathers. Yes, thanks, but the humidistat is on the outside end so should be doing its best. Drip trays and wiping with a cloth sound like hard work - still no ideas on what underwater glue to use for the yoga mat? Don't want to go to the trouble and then have it floating off and fouling the cistern Thanks for suggestions... Peter

Reply to
petermeakins

Thanks all replies. Yes, the cistern is against the cold outside wall so with cold water entering it and hot showers adjacent plus washing drying on the landing outside is I think keeping it dripping damp in some weathers. Yes, thanks, but the humidistat is on the outside end so should be doing its best. Drip trays and wiping with a cloth sound like hard work - still no ideas on what underwater glue to use for the yoga mat? Don't want to go to the trouble and then have it floating off and fouling the cistern Thanks for suggestions... Peter

You could try burning a candle or a small oil lamp in the room, which will keep the air warmer and prevent the moisture from gathering. Also, have you tried just folding a towel over the cistern? Some simple lagging may be enough to stop condensation forming. If any does gather, then the towel will soak it up.

In the mornings, try opening the window a little at the top and draw the moist air out and stop it from gathering in the room.

Reply to
BigWallop