Stick-on bath shelf

I have one of those bath shelves which sticks on to the tiles with suckers.

PROBLEM is that even when the shelf is lightly loaded, the suckers lose their grip after a few hours.

I know wall-screws is a far better way to fix a bath shelf but I want a temporary shelf.

The big supermarkets sell these sucker shelves and I tend not to think that a large percentage of sucker shelves get returned otherwise it would cost too much for the store just in handling all the returns.

----------------

QUESTIONS

Why do these sucker grips shelves fail to hold.

(1) Am I doing something wrong? I clean the surface of the tile, I let all the air out when the sucker is squashed. The sucker seems to hold very well ... until I turn my back for a few hours.

(2) Maybe using suckers is a design so inherently bad such that no-one here has ever much success. Or is your sucker shelf staying up?

Reply to
Zakko

I bought one like that then got tired of it very quickly. I graduated to this and it sticks and stays stuck, and I out shampoo and shower bottles in it. It has locking suction cups. Excellent.

Angela

Thanks for the link! Oddly enough, only the one product you mentioned on that web page has "locking" suckers.

By co-incidence another product shown on that page is *identical* to the one which is giving me trouble! I mean this one:

unlikely that John Lewis would stock this if it they got a lot of complaints. And yet I can't get the shelf's suckers to work beyond a few hours.

Reply to
Zakko

For suction cups to stick to the tiles in a bathroom,the tile must be thoroughly devoid of dirt and oils ie wipe with turps or meths. The cups also must be cleaned.

I should know...the darn penquin radio is stuck fast and if I remove it I swear the tile will break off before the radio. ;-)

Reply to
George

Oh what a surprise :-)

Because its a bloody daft idea in the first place. Doomed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The tiles should also have a smooth, glossy surface. Some tiles have some texture that will allow air=20 to gradually get under the suction cup.

One thing you might try is a very thin coating of petroleum jelly around the rim of the suction cup to act as a gasket.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Glass shelves yes,but the type he's got are not a daft idea to stick on tiles.

Reply to
George

The tiles are old (30 years maybe) so perhaps they are invisibly pitted. I'll try the petroleum jelly approach.

Reply to
Zakko

They could also be slightly porous.

Reply to