Sterling prices.

The GDP went negative for just five quarters in 2008 and 2009: 2008 Q2

-0.9%, Q3 -1.8%, Q4 -2.1%, 2009 Q1 -1.5%, Q2, -0.2%. 1979-81 was longer, nine quarters, although only in seven did it go negative.

That is the prediction of just about every economist world wide.

As I said, that was a relatively short term problem, compared to what we face if we leave the EU.

Reply to
Nightjar

Why would anyone want to manufacture here for the international market? Very high labour and other costs and poor productivity. It doesn't make any sense without free access to the largest market in the world, the EU.

The same, but to a lesser extent, applies to financial services.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why did they come to the UK to be in the EU, why didn't they go to the many other EU countries that exist ?

Is the UK the only EU country ? What was wrong with the other EU countries at the time ?

I think the reason was because the UK tax payer gave them discounts and specail incentives so the management of those compaines could make larger profits for THEMSELVES rather than the country they were in.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In most cases because the language spoken was English.

They spoke foreign

Maybe, but they generally created jobs.

Reply to
charles

Why would they?

Reply to
dennis

They caused the recession so its unlikely to be insignificant.

Reply to
dennis

I like the way you say was English and you are correct. The workers on teh building site behind me might speak English but I've nev er heard them speak English. The site my friend works on with about 25 work ers only he and a spanish person speak English to a defree where a conversa tion can be held. Hopefully the UK will still be English speaking but I rarely hear English when on a bus or tube or just walking.

Of course some will say I'm racsit for pointing this out but if an employer from alpha centuri wants to come to the UK because 'we' speak English they may well have to import workers from the commonwealth rather than the curr ent peolpe in the UK they will employ or hope to employ.

but they have cheap labour don't they and high unemployment ? Why do they need workers they speak English anyway a lot of the people work ing in teh UK don't speak English.

How do you create a job that's not just admin ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Because they won't get the deals in the EU that they were given in he UK. Don;t forget companies like coca cola and large companies set up factories here because of the cheap labour and tax incentive NOT because the workforce can speak English. Because in the USA they almost speak English there too, so why come to the UK. Is it because it;s cheaper shipping can from the UK to europe than it is to 'ship can from europe to europe ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not so much the workers but the immigrant management. They can talk to locals.

by setting up a manufacturing plant - eg Nissan, Honda, Toyota.

Reply to
charles

Because in the level playing field that is the EU, the UK has advantages, like say having English as its native language. Existing skills in its workforce for some things. And was already one of the major centres in the world for financial services. And was already pretty cosmopolitan.

I'm sure you could think of many reasons that could tip the balance.

Every country in the world tries to entice investment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They won't need them. The incentives were to stop them going to another EU country where they would have free access to the EU, if we don't offer free access to the eu why wouldn't they go to an EU country? Its all down to costs and with the UK not having free access to the EU the economics change and not in favour of the UK.

But will it cost them more once we don't have free access to the EU or are you suggesting the the tax payer puts even more money into keeping them here?

PS when are you going to put the ";" key back on the correct place?

Reply to
dennis

who are the locals ? Do you mean the polish hair dresser I knew 14 years ago who came to the UK to work as a hairdresser, but because he had a mullet like martin shaw duri ng teh professonals era few seemed interest in employing him so he started building work. He applied to help build the olympic stadium a company took him on and told him that they could only employ locals. So the manager told him to move into a house in startford where about 7 others shared a 3 bed house that was rented our specifically to house olympic workers. So he moved in and a week later wss classed as a local. He could speak a little english, she still lives in london and has brough a house in barking, he now works for citybank although I don't know what he does. So in your world who or what is a local ?

I don't know one from the EU that has set up such a plant. Aren't they japanese.

g.aspx

4 plants in spain 3 in UK.

How about honda

wow lok at all the places NOT in the EU or UK.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Oh bribes is what you mean.

Is this what's meant by a free market he who bribes the most.

How much does free access cost ? IS this what the money we pay to the EU for .... I know it;s not teh 350 million but why do we pay 350 and then get some bac k. Why does it work like that, why not pay the corect amount in the first plac e.

Is that how anyone else gets paid, seems to have gone on for a while. Sounds similar to hear where if I want to get a key cut we need to generate a cheque which cost £30 in admin time and takes 2 weeks.

Although I first asked 5 years ago, I ended up buyiong anew padlock as it was quicker.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Mark Allread posted

You simply don't know what you are talking about. The link you cited said "LONDON, June 16 Sterling fell by half a percent against the dollar on Thursday ..." Currencies fluctuate up and down against each other by half a per cent (or more) almost every day, in both directions.

They always have done. It's easy for someone to claim "The pound fell because of X" or "The SFr rose because of Y", but in reality one rarely knows the real reasons. In many ways there *are* no reasons, it's just thousands of people exhibiting random herd behaviour.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

I'd guess this is another of those questions you ask while having zero interest in the answer.

I'd ask you one. Why do public sector workers pay income tax? Why not just pay them the net amount in the first place?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

because peole would complain that they didn;t get the same deal.

Now tell me why doesn't my employer pay me twice as much and then I can pay them back 50%

Why do double glaling salesman quote a high figure and give you a 50% discount.

was listening to this earlier.

whisky-dave

Again from the same link - just to help you follow the trend:

UPDATE 2-Sterling hits 10-week low as polls show majority favour Brexit

LONDON, June 16 Sterling fell more than 1 percent to a 10-week low against the dollar on Thursday, after polls showed more Britons will vote to leave the European Union than stay next week and the Bank of England warned the pound may fall sharply in response.

and a timeline:

Pound dips as poll shows 53 percent favour Brexit

9:24am BST UPDATE 2-Sterling steadies in wait for Fed rates statement 15 Jun 2016 Small "Remain" lead in UK poll helps sterling steady 15 Jun 2016 UPDATE 3-Sterling skids to 2-month low as Brexit fears intensify 14 Jun 2016 UPDATE 2-Sterling hits 8-week low vs dollar as Brexit worries grow 14 Jun 2016 Euro, pound fall to lowest level vs yen since 2013 13 Jun 2016 REFILE-UPDATE 2-Sterling falls as Brexit campaign enters final fortnight

10 Jun 2016 Sterling inches lower, hedging costs hit 7-year high

10 Jun 2016 UPDATE 2-Sterling hedging costs soar as Brexit worries bite

You do understand the above don't you? You did read how a fear of Brexit is causing sterling to fall and how, on June 15 a small Remain lead helped sterling to steady a little and then fall again as Brexit takes a lead.

Which bit of the above do you not comprehend. Let me know and I'll see if I can simplify it a bit for you.

Reply to
Mark Allread

What makes you think that a fear of brexit is causing sterling to fall? Because somebody said "Sterling fell more than 1 percent to a 10-week low against the dollar on Thursday, after polls showed more Britons will vote to leave the European Union"? Even *he* only said "after". Even he didn't claim that one caused the other. He's just speculating, because it's his job.

Millions of things happen every day that could affect currency rates. Small fluctuations happen all the time. You cannot assign every fluctuation to a single cause that happened that day.

I'll grant you that BoE statements might cause exchange rate fluctuations. But that doesn't mean that the markets are afraid of Brexit. It means that they're afraid a BoE statement might cause a sterling sell-off.

Did it really? What did the Fed do that day in terms of open market operations, do you happen to know?

Sheer, crass ignorance.

You could try a statement like "If A happens then B happens, then A must have caused B". That should be simple enough for you.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

We do pay the reduced rate, the larger amount never gets paid to the EU.

Reply to
dennis

Ahh, evidence and hard facts. Never go down well with Brexiteers.

Reply to
Mark Allread