Sterling prices.

Not when Labour has committed political suicide by electing Corbyn and UKIP would be politically irrelevant once Britain has left the EU.

No they haven't. I doubt there will even be anything like the percentage to bother to vote in the referendum as there was in Scotland.

Bet they are whatever the result of the referendum is, just like with the Scottish referendum. Very few of the voters give a damn about those issues.

Reply to
Bosco Green

USD/GBP down from 2.0 in 1975Q4 to c.1.45 Deutschemark[Euro]/GBP down from 5.3 to c.1.3

Even if you start after the devaluation of sterling in 1976 we are well down, especially against the Deutschemark.

Reply to
Robin

If you are saying that the only electable party would be a tory party, how long do you think that would last?

It might not be called UKIP, or New Labour, or the Liberal Dimwits, but SOME new party would arise to be Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

Remember you don't need to be in power to get a salary and expenses.

Wait and see.

That's not my experience at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They couldn't plan for it as the EU have absolutely no interest in indicating what their negotiating position would be post Brexit. When the UK attempts to extricate itself from its present position and tries to renogotiate all the treaties to which it is currently a signatory.

Its the EU that doesn't have an exit strategy in place for such an eventuality, not the UK Govt. And that's always been the case.

Just as right now its not at all clear who will be negotiating post Brexit on the UK's behalf. There are claims that Brexiters will demand places for Gove and Duncan-Smith so that they can be sure the UK team will play hardball. Except of course that the EU can tell them to go and get lost.

Anyone who seriously believes Dave was given a hard time in attempting to renegotiate the UK's terms has seen nothing yet. There will be two or three years of this with the UK suffering one humilation after another. Just as I remember the UK on its knees begging De Gaulle to let us join, and us finally getting in, so we can all look forward to the UK on its knees again begging Merkel and co. to let us leave with at least some vestige of dignity intact. Not a chance.

If the EU is going to implode it's going to implode whether the UK is in it or out of it. Everyone is going to have to renegotiate sooner or later.

The UK stuck its head over the parapet in trying to sort out Europe's problems, twice in the 20th century and bankrupted itself as a result.

It seems some people simply can't wait to repeat the same mistake.

michael adams

michael adams

Electable to government, yes.

Hard to say, because it is hard to say how long it would take for Labour to realise that Corbyn makes them unelectable to government.

It is impossible to predict how long it will take until someone like Blair who puts one hell of a bomb under Labour shows up again and managed to convince Labour that to give him a go again.

I doubt it if Britain has left the EU and UKIP is completely irrelevant because what they want has been achieved.

IMO we would see a repeat of what we saw relatively recently when Foot was the best Labour could come up with. Sure, eventually Blair did show up and put one hell of a bomb under Labour, but that sort of thing doesn?t happen very often at all.

Sure, but that was much easier when in the EU with that gravy train which saw the likes of Kinnock do very well indeed that way, but there arent too many examples of that with Britain outside the EU.

Even Thatcher didn?t end up with anything much cushy number wise other than what Denis could provide and basically ended up a pathetic drunk in her dotage.

You can't see enough of the voters to matter.

Reply to
Bosco Green

The market will not crash as a result of Brexit.. The only reason for it to crash is if Osborne attempts to correct the shortfalls already occurring in this years budget as he may well have to in the event of a remain win. If there was a chance of a crash, would Poundland be the subject of a takeover bid today, or would Ball corporation have gone ahead with the Rexam takeover?

Reply to
Capitol

I'm still waiting for the positive reasons to remain!

Reply to
Capitol

I can recall $1.2 to the pound in the 1970s. As an importer it was an interesting experience.

Reply to
Capitol

History shows us that treaties are made to be broken!

Reply to
Capitol

Interesting still as the Bank of England's site allows access to the daily spot rates[1] and the lowest in the whole of the 1970s was 1.5669 on 28-Oct-76. If you managed 1.2 you were exceedingly fortunate or skilful.

[1]
Robin

Neither can you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why would you put your heart and soul into trying to make something work you know to be the wrong and very stupid decision? What's more, one initiated by politicians who only have their *own* interests at heart, not those of the majority in the country.

It is basic human nature to do nothing to assist the idiots who caused it.

And expect the same from the EU. From those who think they'll fall over themselves to give the UK a good deal.

Scare tactics? Possibly. Bit like Turkey joining the EU shortly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well my dad, who as born in 1910, used to call 5/- a 'dollar'

Because pre WWII, that's about what it was worth. 4 to the pound.

I can remember an American great aunt sending over $5 as birthday presents. That was in the 50s., when it was around $2.71 to the pound. I had early experience of Forex ...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very true. It is a gamble. And as we all surely know, the majority lose out in gambling.

Given immigration is probably the issue that decides this, it would be good to get some details from the outers what they propose to do with all the immigrants already here. It's those that many want rid of - not just the threat of even more.

Of course if we do have a massive recession after leaving, which is very likely, those EU immigrants will go home voluntarily, as their jobs disappear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its going down ATM if you look.

Reply to
dennis

Pity we won't have any Trade Agreements in place.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Oh dear, you don't like a direct quote so you 'fix it'. Bless!

Reply to
Mark Allread

Oh dear - you don't like the direct quotes which belie your stance so you again misquote. Bless!

Reply to
Mark Allread

Didn't look - I was refuting, with quotes, the lie that 'almost nothing is happening to the markets or the pound'

Reply to
Mark Allread

We do. Lots.

E.G.

"India invests more in the UK than the rest of the European Union combined [1]. In 2014-15 India emerged as Britain?s third biggest job creator, creating 7,730 new jobs, with investments from India increasing by 65% making it the third largest source of foreign direct investment (FDI) [2]."

So basically all we need to so is to partner up with India and the EU can go f*ck itself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher