Stepladder Hinge Repair or Replacement

Living in a Victorian tenement I have always been in need of tall stepladders .The wooden ones that I have had for years are a bit "shoogly" and as you get on in years the shoogly effect is a bit more troubling than it once was . I took delivery of a brand new set this morning similar to these ones

not inconsiderable expense and they are the dogs danglies .No more stretching to get to the ceiling and surrounding areas while considering you might find yourself on the floor anytime soon .

Not sure what to do with the old wooden ones ....keep them or give them away or sell them for a fiver :-)... The problem seems to be the hinge pivot .It's held by a rivet which ,over the years,has loosened and there is sideways movement between the two sections of the steps .

Am I likely to be able to get a replacement hinge or should I replace the rivet with a nut and bolt...would that do? Here is a pic of the hinge .

NOSPAMnet

loose all over. Actually, I discovered when I was using it as a teenager that with the right wobbling motion on the top, I could make the ladder walk along the floor, which was quite useful.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

at not inconsiderable expense and they are the dogs danglies .No more

options, open you to the elves a safety groups and you could get considerably poorer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

> at not inconsiderable expense and they are the dogs danglies .No more

Health and Safety !!! Your imagination has been running away with you :-) You should stop reading Tabloid Trash ..FFS

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

at not inconsiderable expense and they are the dogs danglies .No more

Mind you the lovely alloy ones you have just purchased make *excellent* conductors when you suddenly find the live cable in the light fitting.

Reply to
RW

at not inconsiderable expense and they are the dogs danglies .No more

========================================== Hang on to them and submit as an entry for the Turner Prize - the brushwork is unique.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

> at not inconsiderable expense and they are the dogs danglies .No more

And yet another comedian pops his head up .Fuck off !!!

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

>> at not inconsiderable expense and they are the dogs danglies .No more

========================================= Oh dear. I hope you're not allowed out on the streets without a muzzle!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com saying something like:

recall. In the absence, you could try a bolt, but it'll have to be very close-fitting and very securely fastened - locknut at least, with Loctite. A rivet would be the best way, as the original has lasted well, but again, where to find one now and you'd have to be sure it was well fitted - the original holes will be oddly shaped by now, I would think.

As they stand, you can't sell or give them away if you want to safeguard yourself - ok, it's caveat emptor, but that doesn't stop all sorts of chancers from trying it on if they fall off and the worst part is... they might succeed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What I'll probably do is drill the rivet out and see what the holes are like . I was thinking of a bolt or a piece of studding ( I have plenty) ,a washer on each side and a locknut ( or one each side if I use studding) and again I have plenty . I'm sure I could get a rivet but closing it up might be the problem .

Despite what other morons have said the steps are actually in pretty good condition otherwise .

I might actually keep them but if I decide to give them away it'll either be Freecycle or I'll leave them in the street on a Wed evening ..The Cleansing collect things on Thursday but they usually preceded by a "Man in White Van" who has a look to see if there is anything worthwhile to take .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet