Steel wool

Slightly OT, but how is steel wool actually manufactured? In front of me I have an enormous pack of the stuff and just thought it can't be just extra-fine lathe turnings :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What does you're wife think of pillow talk? :-(

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It is spun out of old Whippet food cans by women in Yorkshire

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

Electric Sheep.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

One for the search engines.

Let us know what you find out, YLB.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It's metal filings, welded together end to end.

Reply to
patsy

You don't want to know - it's just _funnier_ making it up.

AFAIK it's like wire drawing. You pull a bar of steel through a set of teeth that scrape fine swarf off it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Otherwise known as Blade Runner?

Reply to
John Cartmell

It is hard-drawn wire, taken down to a very fine size.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Did I dream that?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

What you NEED to do start athread called "Steam powered cars using steel wool as a back up fuel" and not only will you get an answer but you'll also find ou how to spin your own!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Only if you're an android. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

What you NEED to do start a thread called "Steam powered cars using steel wool as a back up fuel" and not only will you get an answer but you'll also find ou how to spin your own!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

A thin ribbon of steel is drawn past an array of blades, each of which removes a sliver.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've just run a micrometer over an entire pack of it and found that some pieces are about 10% out of gauge. Can I get a refund on this out of tolerance product or should I just file it down with a Dreadnought.

Lord Elpus.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Nah tha's givin all awa!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Cartmell saying something like:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Combis on fire off the shoulder of Drivel. I watched Hacksaws glitter in the dark near the Hepworth gate. All those moments will be lost in time like pointless arguments in usenet... Time to build an extension."

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

How long has drivel been posting anyway? He's got to be getting near his 4 years.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Is there a time limit?

Mary