Steel re-inforcement mesh

I am going to use steel re-inforcement mesh in a concrete slab.

I will need to use 2 "pieces" of mesh, and my question is, do they need to be ties together, if so what with?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

Yes, and the concrete does that, mostly :-)

Seriously, they don't HABVE to be tied, but its no bad idea.

overlap then and cut up a wire coathanger and twist that around the two meshes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not imperative if it's just a slab, I wouldn't say it was worth even bothering with reinforcements at all, unless it's going to recieve a very heavy load or heavy traffic. If the slab is part of a raft however, it needs to be joined to the steel in the raft and particualrly the steel in the counterbalance, but in these cases, it is usually welded and shaped prior to pouring.

Reply to
Phil L

Its a slab for a prefab workshop

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

wire or plastic zip ties. It does after be suspended of the ground half way. there are special mounting pyramids for this.

Reply to
keith_765

=============================== Any soft iron wire will do. It's more important to make sure that the mesh is supported so that it can't sink to the bottom. Make some small concrete blocks (about 2" square - about half the thickness of your slab) to support the mesh. Alternatively use pieces of brick (or other material) to do the job but avoid pieces of wood.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Bricks aren't reccomended because they deteriate, pieces of paving slabs

50mm thick won't, or block paviors
Reply to
Phil L

Consider the time required and cost of the steel reinforcement. If you use this cost to fund an extra inch or two of concrete (with fibre crackstop) instead then you could save a lot of messing about and achieve the same result. Good idea or bad? I'm no concrete expert.

Julian

Reply to
Julian

Mesh is very very cheap.

Cheaper than he extra concrete.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For real buildings BCOs don't like paving slabs. Engineering bricks are fine , having been through this recently.

Fash

Reply to
Fash

=============================== To make things clear, my original post should have read, "...about 2" square AND about half the thickness of your slab...." to ensure that the mesh is at about half the depth of he concrete.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero