Steel gas pipework and new copper pipework

I may have to connect some new copper pipework to older steel (I think) threaded pipes.

Not having dealt with this old type of pipework before, is this an easy thing to do? I'm hoping that it might be the 1/2" BSP thread that I've seen on some connectors.

Assuming it is the right fitting, is there any issues with putting brass couplings onto copper and steel pipes?

Is there anything special to have to be done with screw thread pipework when its for gas piping? (Gas PTFE tape?)

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Yes it'll be BSP - probably either 1/2" or 3/4". Personally I prefer to run gas in black iron pipe - far less chance of someone putting a nail through it in the future if in copper. At least with a water pipe it usually shows imediately, and doesn't cause explosions !

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Brass to steel will be ok as a buffer between the copper pipe and steel pipe, but don't use copper straight to steel or you run the risk of galvanic corrosion slowly eating away at the metal. Gas grade PTFE (yellow reel) or Rocol Gastite paste (which I prefer) applied to the threads before screwing together will seal the connection. It is very important that you carry out a proper soundness test on completion of the pipework but before the application of any protective wrapping or\ coating.

Reply to
John

Yes.

Almost certainly.

No. Use boss white.

See the FAQ. Boss white will serve you well.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Smells great too..... :-)

.andy