Steamer keeps switching off

My old Goblin Steamatic keeps switching off while heating up. The red light which indicates a low water level comes on even though there is plenty of water in it. Has anyone any idea what might be causing this ?

Reply to
Anna

I'd guess at the low water indicator being faulty!

Scaled up?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

It doesn't seem to have much scale in it. I boiled up some vinegar in it last time I used it to descale it. Is the low water indicator something that can be changed or is it past repair?

Reply to
Anna

Steamers are so cheap these days that I'd (against my prinicples) dump the old one and buy another.

Or you could revert to the old fashioned method of steaming over a pan of water. That's very efficient.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In case I didn't make myself clear this is a steamer for cleaning carpets or removing wallpaper.

Reply to
Anna

Vinegar isn't a terribly effective descaler. Try a pint of water with about 2-4oz of Citric acid dissolved in it (Citric acid from your local Indian Food shop at about a tenth the price of Boots)

Reply to
Peter Parry

Reply to
Anna

But try to look respectable (well, not like a drug dealer) when you ask for it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is the Indian citric acid really the same as Boots?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Both are the same 2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Sorry - I only think in terms of food :-)

I can't help with anything to do with housework!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Perhaps you know what citric acid is used for in cooking ?? If it descales steamers it must be pretty potent. I have asked an Indian riend and she has no idea!

Reply to
Anna

So does fruit juice

I have asked an Indian

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It is basically lemon juice without the lemon flavour.

As a substitute for lemon juice in catering and in Indian Takeaway cooking as a cheap alternative to Tamarind. Its also used to clean drinking glasses.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Mine does the same 2nd one I've had both the same just keeps going off never having another one!

Reply to
claire

Try descaling it.

Reply to