Steam heating. For the benefit of the brain dead.

In order to heat anything by means of steam, air has to be eliminated from steam vessels and pipes. (Steam air mixtures are at a lower temperature than steam at the same pressure). This is done as the steam is admitted/generated to/in the steam vessel by means of an air vent which might be manual or automatic. Manual air vents are just a simple valve closed by hand once a fair amount of steam is passing from it. Found on steam boilers. Automatic air vents close by means of temperature pressure changes. Found on various steam heaters and at key points in steam pipework

Conversely as the vessel cools the vent has to open to prevent a vaccuum being generated which might damage some components/prevent their proper operation.

Pix of automatic air vents:-

These are intended for industrial steam, pressure cookers have a more mickey mouse device.

And for the truly brain dead here (and we seem to have plenty), a drawing of a pressure cooker with the AAV clearly marked as such.

Air elimination is a very large part of steam system design. And no, it's not as simple as some shit-fer-brains seem to think it is.

Reply to
harry

It is possible for things to serve more than one purpose. You have now been cited the actual words from the manufacturer's manual which sets out the multiple purposes of the Ready to Serve indicator.

The human brain is similarly able to do many things - eg rehearse what a person knows but also to take on new evidence so a person learns - unless of course it is a faulty brain.

Reply to
Robin

And what happens if the plumber drops some peanuts in the pipe while he is doing his job, does he have to attach, may contain nuts to it as well. My favorite of these revolves around the various labels you find attached to mains plugs which vary between. Only to be fitted by a qualified electrician, to do not wire while plugged into a live outlet. The question which sprang to mind here was, if its plugged in how do you put the top back and do up the screw?

I guess you would not care you would probably be dead by then. Unfortunately I can no longer fit plugs myself as all the wires feel the same to me..... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Y pattern strainers (filters) are fitted at critical places in steam pipe installations to protect vulnerable components. Mostly to catch bits of crap in the system.

Reply to
harry

It's and air vent with an indication as to when it's open and the lid can be safely removed.

Nothing to do with over pressure. The hole in the middle isn't big enough to vent off all the energy being put in. If the whole rubber thing blows out, it's down to lack of maintenance. It would be very dangerous to a bystander.

The failsafe device is the rubber seal between container and lid. This will deform and release any over pressure. Also if the thing boils dry, it will melt and release pressure.

Reply to
harry

Correct

Wrong.

Wrong

Have you even bothered to look at pages 9 and 10 of the manual for which the link was posted?

Reply to
Robin

As soon as he's put the shovel down, he might. But don't hold your breath.

Reply to
Richard

We already know these things. Why not hire a JCB so you can dig deeper faster?

Reply to
dennis

Call a spade a spade, and shovel a bloody shovel.

He'll need a spade for his hole. Or a shovel and a mattock.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Did we miss your apology, or is that still to come?

Reply to
John Rumm

Bloody nitpickers! Last time I called a spade a spade, the PC brigade were all over me like a rash.

Reply to
Richard

The list is long and he is a tad confused which apology should be first.

Reply to
Richard