Steam cleaner update

Well, since Dave (The Medway Handyman) said that steam cleaning windows was indeed OK, she's done them - and he's right; absolutely brilliantly sparkling clean :o)

We tend to be a bit lazy in defrosting the freezer and haven't done it in over a year so it's desperately in need of sorting. I saw a gleam in her eye as the idea to use the steam cleaner bubbled up to the surface but again, I had serious misgivings about it so I googled and found dozens and dozens of people who use them for that purpose, so off she went.

Just 20 minutes ago, each shelf of the freezer had at least 1" of ice on it - and now, it's darn-near all gone! :o)

Amazing.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Zahut

I've used the hose end of a wallpaper steamer for that very purpose - indeed, some time after, I saw a stripper advertised as being useful for that. Our freezer was a bit dodgy and needed doing every month or so, but we've got a frost free now and that just needs the thermistors replacing every 5 years or so, much less hassle!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

But where does the gunge on them end up? Running all over the frames and down the walls?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was actually out when she did it so I don't know for sure but the steam cleaner came with a squeegee attachment so using that in conjunction with our own squeegee and a cloth sorted it. Water runs down to the cill then gets mopped up just as when using a bucket of soapy water on the outside.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Some 40-50 years ago, my grandfather set about defrosting their new Hotpoint Iced Diamond fridge, in the same way he always did. With the door open and the one-bar electric fire pointing in, he retired to the living room to listen to the News. On returning after the news, he was horrified to find the fridge liner hanging off in large loops of molten plastic. This was the first fridge he had with a plastic liner, the previous ones all being enamel. Anyway, he called out the Hotpoint engineer, who exclaimed he'd never seen a fridge go like that before! (Not sure if my grandfather told him what had happened.) Anyway, they delivered a new one.

25 years ago when I was living in digs, I decided we needed to defrost the freezer. To speed it up, I put a deep metal baking tray in the bottom and filled it with water from the kettle, and shut the door to keep the steam in. When I came to remove the try later, the previously flat bottom of the freezer now had a heavy crinkle finish.

So do be careful with high temperatures on parts that were never designed to handle them, particularly steam.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hum, I'd be a bit worried about heating the thing up to fast and causing expansion of the refridgerant (liquid to gas or just gas) faster than the system is designed for. I'm sure I've seen warnings about that ITFM.

I stand a fan heater on a stool in front of the open door and wait. Just emptying the bowl under drain as required. Takes about an hour and no faffing about with a hot hose.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Pete Zahut writes

Tumble drier hose poked into the freezer and a decent load of washing on a rainy day always worked for me before we got a condenser drier.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I use a carpet extraction machine on ours. Spray on hot water, vacuum up defrosted water.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Either the water is removed by a squeegee or the tool has an absorbant towel fitted.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

My freezer in it's current state would need an SDS.

Or

Wait for it

Angle grinder!

There, said it