Steam cleaner query

I am thinking of buying a steam cleaner and have looked at the Murphy Richards which looks well designed. My concern is that there is no control on the steam It's on all the time when using. Is this a common feature of these devices?

Reply to
Blair Malcolm

My Karche (sp?) has an on/off switch for the steam.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hi Blair

Cheapers ones don't have the on/off control, pay a little more for one with an on/off button on the handle.

Much more convenient, doesn't waste steam and much safer!

Dave

Reply to
Magician

Thanks for your help. Could you tell me the model you have Blair

Reply to
Blair Malcolm

Thanks. Could you recommend a model ? Blair

Reply to
Blair Malcolm

Just had a look:

Karcher 1102 Vaporapid.

I got it a few years ago and it might have been superseded.

A son bought one in Germany when he was posted there and said I couldn't live without one, he insisted that I got one. I was impressed when I saw his in use just on his windows (I don't like cleaning windows, it takes ages to get them as good as I want). When we got back to Leeds I ordered one from a local electrical supply shop. We always buy things from them, they give us and everyone else a good deal and we want them to continue trading. But apparently we couldn't have got one in the big places anyway.

I can recommend it 100%, ever time we use it for something new I'm pleased :-) Spouse used it recently to clean the landing carpet where I spilt dripping (don't ask) a couple of years ago. I'd tried with all sorts of household cleaners, they seemed to work for a time but didn't do a permanent job. This time the extensive marks haven't returned.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary, you don't really think that that one can be allowed to slip by unnoticed do you?

My guesses are:

- applying dripping to spouse's chilblains

- cooking chips in the bathroom

- "assistance" for bedroom activities

I bet that the reality is more interesting.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

LOL!

He doesn't have them. But is dripping a cure for chilblains?

No, I rarely cook chips and when I do I use truffle oil or duck fat. We have no cooking facilities in the bathroom - except poaching I suppose. Or coddling ...

Not needed. We're not 70 yet!

Not really, that's why the caveat. I'd been making tallow candles in my workroom which is a converted second bedroom. I took the dipping tank to the bathroom to clean and tripped ...

You know how when you spill a very small glass or jug of milk and it spreads far further than you'd imagine possible?

Molten tallow has the same property ... :-(

Today I've been processing tallow for a forthcoming film on soap making with the Gnome. I stayed in the kitchen with a hard floor!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I picked up one from Lidl this week :-

Andy

But does it have an on/off control?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I haven't used it in anger yet but it has a steam-on lever on the hand held bit and a heating on/off switch on the main unit body. So it looks like the steam can be turned off from the handheld part....

Reply to
Andy

Excellent. I hope it does a good job on your tallow.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On your advice I went to Lidl and bought one this morning. .Have just carried out a first trial and was very pleased with the result. The only query is with the Steam Intensity Regulator (item 12 on the diagram) which is not correctly shown. There is a setting from 0 to 5. As there is no guidance on its use I wondered if you would let me know what you think of it when you get started. It could be a pressure regulator? Blair

Reply to
Blair Malcolm

Just used mine and all seems well! The instructions are pretty ropey aren't they! The 0-5 dial thing is a "steam intensity" setting, 0 = low, 5 = high.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Thanks. We just need to use it in anger now!. Experience is the best teacher Blair

Reply to
Blair Malcolm