Stanley bits...

I have just acquired a Record 050 Combination Plane. In the box of bits were these Stanley bits.
http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Stanley-575--W.jpg
They have Made in USA and 575 stamped on them. Anyone know what they might be for?
Many thanks, Roy

As I can't easily get to the web, could you please describe them.
Alan -- Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

I found the following web page where the 050 is mentioned:
http://www.geocities.com/plybench/record.html
Look under the 044 to see the description.
Might these objects be the blade clamp that is referred to?
PoP

Roy,
Best place to post this would be on rec.woodworking at: http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&group=rec.woodworking
Rgds
Noel
noel dot hegan at virgin dot net
Noel, Apols for the delay....
Yes, I did post to rec.woodworking but got zero replies!
Interestingly I was in Pennyfarthings in Salsbury - they deal in all sorts of old tools... I had these items with me and asked the guy in the shop if he knew what they were. He had no idea. Anyway, I browed round the shop and there in a cabinet were the very same items! With a tag saying "Adjustable Bit Gauge - 9.50". Unfortunately no one in the shop (owner away on hols) was able to shed any light on what they are for. I will return in a few weeks time and discuss with the owner. I wonder what an Adjustable Bit Gauge does... Hmmm...
Roy

Look like some type of depth stop to me ,
Try browsing through http://www.supertool.com/index.htm or perhaps contacting the site owner.
Regards
Paul Mc Cann

Fascinating stuff - a bit of googling leads me to suspect that they are used as a depth stop for auger bits when assembled like this
http://www.toolsrules.com/ST49ABG.jpg
or
http://www.toolsrules.com/ST49BG.JPG
& clamped round the bit like this (albeit completely different model)
http://www.toolsrules.com/ST47BG.JPG .
Would they fit round an auger bit with it projecting out beyond the two curved 'feet' parts (i.e. diagonally down & to the left in the first image link above) ?
Let us all know if that seems likely.
--
Richard Tibbitt
Strathdon, Scotland
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:00:18 +0100, Richard Tibbitt wrote:

Looks a bit (no pun intended) cumbersome. Think I'll stick to wrapping some tape around the bit at the appropriate depth.
Paul/Richard/John, Thanks for your interest... Yes indeed... It is a depth stop. I must say that I agreed with John about being cumbersome and the old masking tape trick seems a lot easier. Hower once I had the thing in place I was amazed at how simple it was to adjust and how well it worked. Just slacken off the wingnuts and screw the guide up or down as necessary.
http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/GuideOnBit-1.jpg
http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/GuideOnBit-2.jpg
Many thanks for solving the problem... Roy

Roy,
Every day is a school... What threw me was the fact that the bits came with the plane and therefore I automatically assumed.....although I still didn't know what they were. Glad you got it sorted.