Stand-alone scanners

The recent discussion about integrated printer/scanners has prompted me to think again about replacing my old Agfa snapscan 1212u. It works well but is getting quite long in the tooth now and presumably modern scanners are much faster(?). The 1212u takes about 30 seconds for a black/white A4 scan and about 90 seconds for a colour A4 scan. Are there any recommendations for faster flatbed scanners which have XP support?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

I don't know your feelings on reviews but there are several at PC Pro:

went for the Canon Pixma MG6150:
've been very pleased with it although ink isn't cheap.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Since he is looking for scanners only, then the cost of ink is immaterial!

Reply to
Davey

Dave, I've had good service from Canon Lide scanners. very slim, cheap & effective. I got mine s/h off the bay and it cost more in petrol to collect than I paid for it

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

the speed of the USB (or whatever) connection is a limitation. Unless you have USB2, a new scanner may not go much faster.

rusty.

Reply to
therustyone

Thanks Bob, the new ones seem to be faster than the older ones and are not very expensive, so I've just ordered a LIDE 210 via Amazon. I'll try to remember to report back in case anyone else is considering upgrading their scanner. Does anyone want to buy a Snapscan 1212u in vgc? ;-)

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

I use a Brother all in one for scanning. It does it over the network, or to a usb stick when no computer is needed.

Reply to
dennis

A quick note to say that I'm pleased with the Lide 210, but the ability to use it on-edge is a waste of a piece of plastic.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Both comments apply equally to my Lide 200 which has been excellent

Reply to
Newshound