Stairs- change of colour

Having recently fitted some Light Oak laminate flooring I now wish to change the colour of my staircase and rails to a Light Oak. They are currently stained with Sikkens Mahogany. It would not be feasible to strip back to base wood so I am looking at some sort of Base Opaque Undercoat colour and either paint or restain to a Light Oak shade.
DuLux do a base coat and finish not sure what this is like. Any feedback on this or any other method would be appreciated JD