Staircase handrail

Looking for a randrail for a staircase. The staircase is rather narrow and I want the type which is a piece of timber directly fixed to the wall, not a piece of round timber mounted on brackets, which sticks out more than I want. It already had such a randrail, but it is only about half the length it should be, and does not reach the top or bottom of the staircase. Can't see this in any of the sheds. I've not specifically looked in the BM's yet, but I don't recall seeing anything other than the standard Richard Burbidge stuff in those either.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Do you have a router? If so, you can buy cutters that profile handrails and make your own.

Reply to
Howard Neil

I just put some up which I think is similar to what you want. The local builders merchants, called it pigs ear.

Reply to
Simon

Sow's (or pigs) ear, available off the shelf at Jewson. Secure with large screws, e.g. 12 by 2 1/2. Looks better if you cut back the bottom to leave a rounded "knob" sticking out at each end.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If you're after something more modernist, how about a long length of

6"x2" spaced off the wall by some 2"x1" batten?
Reply to
Phil

I decided to take an old one off and replace it. The old one was held on with about six cut nails banged into wood fillets in the brick mortar courses and was absolutely solid and well nigh impossible to shift. Having got it off and repaired the plaster , I fitted another (from a builder's merchants). I used about 15 no12 screws - no matter what I did, it was never as solid as the original - the original builders were clearly supermen! You have been warned! Take a roof rack as well - you can hardly saw it up to transport!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

They rust in nicely! You can do the same, but it means raking out the joints and whacking plugs in, etc. Screws are OK but the plastic plugs can be a problem...

Take it on the bus.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Put it vertically out through the roof window[1] and avoid low bridges and overhead live wires.

Owain

[1] I can't remember what skylights on cars are called!!!
Reply to
Owain

specifically

I used about 8 large screws and a lot of no nails. It is now fixed solidly to the wall and I only hope it is not me who has to take it off as they will probably have to replaster the wall.

Reply to
Simon