stair parts - pre-primed ?

I can get my stair parts for around 300 quid, or 350 pre-primed. I thought, oh good I just need to gloss them, but the website says, "pre-primed, just need undercoat and top coat". So for 50 quid I am getting priming (and I guess knotting solution). I have always just used undercoat without any problems, so what is the priming actually for ? Is it worth paying extra 50 quid to save the priming stage ? Does oil-based undercoat need a separate primer ?

Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

good I just need to gloss them, but the website says, "pre-primed, just need undercoat and top coat".

actually for ?

Oh, it did say "white" everywhere; I suppose people might paint banisters colours other than white ... Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

good I just need to gloss them, but the website says, "pre-primed, just need undercoat and top coat".

actually for ?

A primer coat can make it a bit tougher, but isnt a necessity. Do you want to pay them to paint a primer coat on for you?

NT

Reply to
meow2222