stair hallway lighting position

regulars here know I've moved my staircase this week IVe been advised by the builders that I will need a switch at the bottom of the stairs to turn on the light at the top as a safety requirement before the Building inspector would be happy ot sign off the alterations. No problem, I can re-locate the existing switch now obsolete in the middle of my new lounge/diner. Question is, the light bulb itself at the top of the stairs, now sits around the corner from the top of the stairs by approx 3 feet. So does the lightbulb have to be visible from the bottom of the stairs? i.e. do I need to move it ? TIA

Reply to
Vass

I don't think so, provided the light levels are adequate.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No you do not need to move it, they advised you to move the switch although there is NO requirement to do so. You can put it wherever you like. Do the builders also do electrical work by any chance!

Reply to
Ian

Just don't use a crappy energy saving bulb, they should not be allowed on stairs as they take a while to "warm up" and give off a decent light.

Reply to
Ian

But they also don't fail suddenly like a filament lamp.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Eh? They do. Perhaps not so often, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nah - they both only fail once...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Are you sure? My Grandma used to remake the filamant connection during the war, and no doubt for many years after. Power the broken lamp up in a table lamp and carefully move the broken filament around by manouvering the tablelamp until the filament remakes the connection. Apparently the lamp often worked again.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth