Stair balustrade advice

Hello

In a earlier post, I was considering the possibility of building my own staircase. In the end I bought one instead - a straight flight with three winders at the bottom, all in redwood, which I've installed.

I now have the balustrade to assemble. What I have is this:

-Newel bases fitted at each end of straight flight, with mortices drilled for newel tops.

-Newels to fit into them (newels have squared tops with no holes, fittings or brackets)

-Bottom rail, with groove on top, to cut to length and angle and fit over stringer

-Banister rail, with groove under, to cut to length and angle and fit to newels

-Spindles, and spacers for bottom rail and banister rail

Now, I can see quite clearly how all this needs to be cut, and how it goes together, but in the interests of not missing anything obvious, I wondered if anyone could give me some tips, or point me at a quick guide, on the sequence of construction, methods of fixing, and so on. I've Googled slightly but not found anything that isn't horribly basic and unhelpful. The sort of questions I have in mind are:

- Do I toe-nail the spindles, top and bottom, between the spacers, or glue, or both, or just fix the spacers but not the spindles?

- Spacers- pin, glue or both?

- Banister rail to newels - do I just but them up and screw from underneath?

- order of construction?

- other tips?

I know this is all simple, but I'd rather ask a few numpty questions than miss something obvious.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Newels in first, then fix bannister & bottom rails. I've only used Richard Burbage newels which had the correct holes to take their brackets for fixing the bannister rail. That made it easy. You could look at their instructions nd brackets and route/chisel the correct holes.

Work out how many spindles and the gaps at each end to make them central with standard length spacers, or (better, imho) cut the spacers so that every gap is the same.

Little dab of glue on each spacer. Paint/varnish will do the rest.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

to get your banister spacings (100mm gaps max) on the slope will require spacers longer than on the horizontal...

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K