Stainless Steel splashbacks

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what to look for in a stainless steel splashback and what to avoid? It seems that I can pay extortionate amounts (100+) for a known-brand splashback or peanuts (25-30) for a sheet of stainless steel cut to size but I don't know if there's any difference between the two options (assuming the edges are clean and straight, that is).
Some people quote the thickness and grade of their steel e.g. 1.2mm 301 dpi. What thickness is considered standard for a cooker splashback and what does the DPI rating tell you?
Should I just go for the cheapest one I can find (1.2mm 304 DPI for 25)?
cheers, Laurence.

Yes. It's not as if the thickness really matters anyway.
I bought a sheet of S/S 600mm by 790mm, (cut to fit exactly) plus a strip bent to cover the cooker feet for 12; a sheet the wrong (standard) size was 50 from Comet, and was made of noticeably thinner sheet.
Have you decided how to attach it yet? I used silicone sealant, which has worked brilliantly. Put a couple of screws in place (below the cooker) just to rest the edge of the sheet on, silicone on the back and push it on. You only get one chance to line it up right, so be careful!
Yours, Nathan
Nathan Critchlow-Watton wrote:

12? What kind of outlet did you get your S/S from?
At 25, it looks like I'm still being charged too much.
RM

That was from a S/S fabricators, I found him in the yellow pages. He's in an industrial estate in Falkirk, though I can't imagine that helps you much! Most light industrial manufacturers will sell to you directly, although they can be hard to track down.
Nathan Critchlow-Watton wrote:

Well, I'm based in Edinburgh so it may be useful to know of this place.
RM
Reestit Mutton wrote:

actually, now that I think about it, there is an obvious question arising from this statement...under what heading in the yellow pages did you find him?
cheers, RM

I can't work out your e-mail address to send this to you directly! he was under "steel fabricators", and his company is called "Viking steel" in Falkirk. It's just off one of the new roundabouts, towards Camelon.