Staining/colouring a concrete drive

We were talking about our drive over the weekend. It's original with the house - about 50 years old and is grey concrete, so not very attractive, it doesn't appear to have had any prior treatments . One option that came up was staining it. Has anybody got experience of doing this - such as how hardwaring is the stained surface, does it blotch when being applied, do you _really_ get the coverage claimed on the tin and should a sealing layer be used afterwards.

Finally, which is better for a DIYer: water or acid based stains?

with thanks

Reply to
pete