Stained Toilet Bowl

Page 1 of 2
When I moved in about 2 years ago, the bowl below the water line was badly stained a brown colour. Thinking it was the obvious, I eventually took the plunge to see if it would be easy to remove. It simply wiped off and I had a perfectly white bowl. However, the bowl is again starting to stain. It is flushed after every use and the water is clear, there is no staining in the cistern. Using a toilet brush would prevent anything building up over time, but what would be causing it?
David

The water may look perfectly clear, but I can assure you it ain't. With water standing in the bowl for any length of time, the small particles do settle out against the porcelain. Try taking a white cup and filling it with water from your tap, then let it stand on the window sill till it dries out. You'll be amazed at what you find after all the water is gone.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

the whole lot into the bowl and use a long handled washing up brush to get it up to the rim. You may need to do this on and off for a couple of hours. If you can be bothered to temporarily block the WC with a towel or something, you can just leave it overnight. IME this treatment lasts for a good couple of years. Once you get rid of the salts, the colour can't build up so easily.
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:59:22 -0000, "stuart noble"

I was recently in a supermarket in spain and for some reason found myself in the household chemicals aisle. (What a great way to spend part of your holiday).
I spied some stuff which appeared to be some sort of descaler and eventually managed to work out that it was hydrochloric acid. Every supermarket seems to have it (always right next to the household ammonia - another chemical now rather uncommon in the UK).
Nice that you can still buy dangerous chemicals within the EU! I would like to put HCl into my kettle and toilet from time to time. (Actually I remember when I was young you could buy it here under the name "spirit of salt").
Adrian
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:41:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@a.com (Adrian Sims) wrote:

You can buy it as brick acid, I believe, from DIY stores and builders merchants.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I'm planning to get some brick acid and pour it into my toilet. What concentration would you recommend?
I've already tried emptying the trap and leaving it 24 hours with 2 litres neat bleach filling the U-bend. It made it much cleaner, but there's still loads of scale and general nastiness.
Christian.

Doesn't need to be strong -- the scale dissolves easily with no effort, just give it time. I use around a spoonful of Furnox descaller (DS-3? -- large tubs available from B&Q or plumbers merchant) dissolved in a pint of warm water and then poured into the u-trap and left for an hour or overnight. You could add a few drops of washing up liquid too if it's really bad, but that's not necessary unless it looks really bad. (Don't add any other cleaners as you might end up releasing clouds of chlorine gas.) After leaving to soak, one wipe with the toilet brush and flush, and brilliantly cleen loo, much more effectively and for far less cost than any of the proprietry loo cleaners.

Bleach doesn't really clean anything like this, it just makes the dirt invisible (for a short length of time).
--
Andrew Gabriel

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:06:29 -0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

Well bleach won't shift scale, you need a descaler...
Wander along to your local supermarket and pick up a bottle of "Harpic 100% Limescale Remover" works here.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

This is also an acid (phosphoric, IIRC, like in Coke).
Again, don't mix with bleach.......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:44:45 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Can't be bothered to go upstairs to look again... but undoubtedly an acid of some sort.

And if you've loo full of bleach don't pee in it, for the same reason...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Christian McArdle wrote:

Full strength, and leave it, slap the toilet lid down and put your extractor in fill blast, or open a window. It will degrade rubber and plastic seals and pipes so don't leave it more than overnoght, then follow up with bleach to neutralise, wait, and do it again if necessary.

Neat bleach? Use neat caustic soda crystals :-) Turns turds into soap and silt that does!

I'll be ok then, I don't get up till late
mike r
stuart noble wrote:

They usually are. Caustc turns most organic materials into something water soluble anyway.

What would Crissie and Aggie do? Probably throw a ton of baking soda down there with some vinegar!
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:06:29 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

I'm not certain how concentrated it is and have not used it for a toilet application. Since you probably don't want something too vicious I would have thought diluting 5:1 would be a good start. Add acid to water, of course, and you definitely do not want any bleach around because copious amounts of chlorine gas would be released. You can always increase the concentration of acid if needed.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Ed Sirett wrote:

Just remember ANY cement joints in the drains will be eroded by the acid, do it too often and trouble awaits, the water companies don't like it either, not only due to drain damage, but it kills the microbes in the sewerage farms...
Niel, with a rather large acid treatment plant at work!
Adrian Sims wrote:

You still can, in decent builders merchants and hardware shoppes. Used as brick cleaner.
GFor bogs tho its a tad drastic. Most of teh proprietary descalers work well, and then one of those loobloo things chucked in teh cistern ocasionally works well too.
Or fitr a water softener. That stops it forming in the first place.
Bad enscalation can be chipped out, complete with its brown stains...not a nice job.

Sterident tablet over night? Works wonders on coffee mugs!