Squirty foam and polystyrene?

Can squirty foam be used where it will come into contact with polystyrene insulation? Thought I'd better ask in case the solvent in the squirty foam attacks or dissolves polystyrene.

Reply to
David in Normandy

The best part of 50 years ago we had a shop manager who was interested in model aircraft

- he'd usually got part of one under the counter which he'd get out and work on if it was quiet ...

The first time we opened a box and found these new, solid white packing blocks instead of the traditional cardboard, he picked up a piece and thought it might be useful for building model aircraft.

So, he reached under the counter and produced a bottle of dope. Now, to this day, I still don't know why he thought he might need to apply dope to it ...

Anyway, he applied a drop of dope to the expanded polystyrene and we all watched as it dissolved its way through the block to the shop counter ...

And petrol, it ain't ...!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Rubbish!

Use it on the merkin w*****s currently infesting this group.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No, it's dope. Now if only we knew what you mean by dope.

Reply to
Phil L

You paint it on tissue when making model aircraft. It makes it shrink and tauten up.

Reply to
nicknoxx

Not just model aircraft. Acetone solvent IIRC.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I think he knew that ...

Reply to
geoff

Well thinned cellulose acetate it was (basically thin nail varnish or thick hairspray). My one childhood effort at making a balsa and tissue aeroplane ended in about 2 seconds of flame, when I finished my kit and then turned round to play with my chemistry set...

Incidentally, it would be a pretty odd petrol mix that would dissolve polystyrene.

On the other hand, if you actually want some dope, a half jam jar of acetone or chloroform dissolves an astonishing number of disposable polystyrene coffee cups (from my bored lab tech days).

And back to the OP, I would think it quite likely the solvents in squirty foam would dissolve polystyrene, if they came into contact while it was still uncured.

Spamlet

The only practical way to know for sure is to try a sample run and see.

There are too many variables involved - What type of plastic is used in the brand of "squirty foam" you're planning on using? Is your insulation

*REALLY* polystyrene, or is it just something that looks similar, but is actually something else? Exactly what solvent (or more likely, what combination of solvents) is used in your brand of "squirty foam"? Even if the squirt stuff you're using isn't styene-based, it might still be using solvents that will eat styrene. And so on...

Basically, without knowing EXACTLY what your planned combination is, there's no way for anyone out here in "internet-land" to be certain. "Test a small sample" is the best advice anyone can give you.

Reply to
Imaginary

cellulose acetate or butyrate dissolved in xylene, acetone or methyl ethyl ketone.

Its a standard word.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dope is not styrene based.

they dont.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only if you move in those circles where it's used as a standard word.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I meant. look it up in any dictionary.

Its been used around aircraft since WWI.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So did I.

Lots of words can be found in a dictionary. Doesn't mean they are all in everyday use for most of the population.

So that covers what proportion of the population?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Fuck to what proportion of the population it covers. I'd expect people here who were once small boys (perhaps you weren't) to have at least some rudimentary knowledge of plane or boat building.

Look up "de Havilland Mosquito" in Wikipedia and see the "Construction" section.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It wasn't me who didn't know what dope is.

Why?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I've just tried it and no problems - other than the usual one of the tube on the nozzle blocking damn fast.

Reply to
David in Normandy

In message , Man at B&Q writes

Any Biggles readers:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK, I'll amend that to "(perhaps OP wasn't)" but otherwise my point stands.

Because this is uk.d-i-y and not uk.ladies-knitting-circle

Reply to
Tim Streater

I just said it was cellulose acetate.

Bet it would work with polyststyrene too.

Rather you than me.

Reply to
Spamlet